Please Help Dog Will Not Kennel

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Please Help Dog Will Not Kennel

Postby getducks » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:11 pm

My dog will not go in her kennel by herself it's getting to the point were it's really depressing me.We built her a real nice 10by10 and a really nice dog house pored a slab and everthing sometimes she get's to stay in the house you have to put a leash on her and walk her in there for her to kennel any help on this would be great THANK YOU CONFUSED OWNER
This is it does not get much better than this
getducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:23 pm

Hey, try putting one of those nice "squooshy" pads in there, and if that dosnt work, then try and put a doggie treat in there.......

Good Luck, and keep us posted! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:39 pm

I don't keep my dog in a kennel, He's too spoiled, so I don't know if this will work.

Start feeding her in there. When it is time to feed her, take her food bowl with food, and put the bowl inside the kennel. I would imagine that she will follow and sit in there and eat. maybe even stay in there with her for a little while and tell her good girl. Maybe if you ever give her a bone or a "special treat" give it to her in there.

I don't know if you do this or not, but don't use the kennel as someplace to put your dog when you don't want to give her attention. basically don't use it as a jail. If she does something wrong, don't punish her by putting her in the kennel, it will make her not like it.

just a couple of suggestions.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:38 am

Ace is right on the money. Feed your dog in the kennel and pretty soon your dog will love it in there. I keep lots of toys in there when I am gone, kongs and nylabones. Make sure they always have pleanty of water, we have a 15 gallon pool for them to play in.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:58 am

to get my pup to become comfortable with her outside run I picked her up and carried her in there set her down with the door closed the door. Once she had a chance to check everything out and get acclimated to it I started playing with her making her feel like her kennel is a good fun place to be. and even now everything now and then I will open up the door walk in and play with her.

Also what ACE said is a great idea and will work. Both ideas will take time so be patient and eventually you pup will get the idea that her kennel is the second greatest place on earth, next to being with you. Good Luck

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby heeler » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:49 am

Feeding her in the kennel is absolutely right,but make her sit outside the door,pour her food in the dish inside then get up beside her and release her with "kennel".She should go right in,if she's hungry enough.After she starts getting used to that,do it without the food so she doesn't associate kennel with feeding time.
heeler
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:19 pm

great advice from all... :thumbsup:

most importantly, like ACE said, no DISCIPLINE in there.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:53 pm

I would have to agree with the rest of the gents :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby getducks » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:43 pm

Thanks alot guys this really helps.THANKS AGAIN
This is it does not get much better than this
getducks
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum