Vet Prices.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Vet Prices.

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey guys, I took my pooch into the vet yesterday for a little kennel cough that he got at the dog park. While i was there i asked for an estimate to get his hips and elbows OFA ed. So they give me this estimate of $560-$620. I thought that this was a little high, but i realize that the vet i go to is always a little higher than other places, but i don't care, i like the care and advice that i get from them.

So last night at my skeet league shoot, I asked some friends of mine who train and breed, where they get there OFA tests done. They gave me a name of a vet. I called them this morning and got a quote over the phone. $208, and i will talk to the on site OFA certified x ray tech the very same day and get the results.

Now this other vet clinic is a 1.5 hr drive one way. so it is out of the way. but it will be well worth it. If it was a hundred dollar difference i wouldn't probably drive that far.

So now i wonder how much i am getting ripped off from my vet. :pissed: We take 3 cats and a dog in there and i am thinking of getting another dog. If i give them an extra $50 or $100 a frikin animal I would be getting hosed. :pissed:

So i will start to look around a little bit. Just wanted to share. I think some people wouldn't get their dogs hips tested if the cost was that much money, and instead just go ahead and bread there dog without the OFA. :thumbsdown:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:03 am

Yeah ACE when I saw that price to get those hips checked I about crapped. I figured it was just a west coast thing but obviously not since you got a second bid. Look around, there is nothing wrong with shopping for medical care. Hell if this would happen with humans it wouldn't be so damn expensive either.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:42 am

i have a vet that i think will do it for alot less than that.they are a good reputable vet too. they are even cheaper than affordable vet clinic.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:12 am

my vet is a little higher than others in the area but i have pretty much known him my whole life and he is very good at what he does. i do still check on costs with a couple of others vets anytime i have a need for special services like this. it never hurts to be informed... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:33 pm

My vet seems to be good. shots are $10. Yesterday Gunny got bit by something on his snout and it swelled up (huge!). The vet charged $30 for an inspeciton/physical and another 30 for a benedryl shot. We were pleasently surprised. Don't know about the hips charge though. I will definately get a quote before going in!
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:43 pm

man dropdux, my vet won't even let me drive by the place without running out and handin me a bill for $85.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:34 pm

holy crap my vet must be the cheapest in the nation then. It cost me a grand total of $65 for the initial visit, and three shots (rabies, distemper, and kennel cough). I hope its just as cheap to do hips.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:30 pm

ACE,

I know as well as you do that you can't get anything for less than $85 in the bay area. That is why I moved.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:33 pm

:thumbsup: Aint it the Truth.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Return to Hunting Dog Forum