Barking dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Barking dog

Postby Stanwood » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi,
:help: We have a dog that barks a lot while he in the kennel. How do we stop him.
Stanwood[/b][/list][/code]
Stanwood
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:00 pm

stanwood, i don't know, i never let mine start. The only time my dog ever barks is when i tell it to or someone rings the door bell.

At first when he was a puppy and would bark when he was put in his kennel, i would ignore him. If i came running in to see if he was alright or to tell him to be quiet, then he got what he was looking for. Attention. That is the dog training you. the dog barks and you come in and give it attention. the dog doesn't care if it is bad attention, it is just plain attention.

When ACE got older, and would bark at things or noises, i tell him "NO" . This kind of barking is not for attention, it is him trying to be the male with balls that he is. So when i tell him "NO" he understands that this means NO and not him getting attention.

I have probably just babbled and helped nothing. My advice is take him out have a good time with him at a creak or the park. Come home put him in the kennel and ignore him. I no nothing about E collars for barking, I don't like the idea of unsupervised electrical anything when it comes with my dog.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:10 pm

"no bark" collars work very well. i had a female chocolate lab that had this problem for a brief time.

ace, i understand you concern about unattended electrical devices. i would be weary of it to. this thing works so fast that you don't have a chance to "unattend" the dog before it barks and gets popped. the 1st time they are like what the h@!! was that. the 2nd and they know not to open there mouth again. after a couple of days of this you don't have to worry about it anymore. you may want to check with your local pet supplies store as they will rent the good ones by the day. yes, it works that fast...there isn't any need to purchase a $125 collar unless you plan on needing it for more than one dog.

note: just like any e-collar, let them get used to it before it actually gets used on them. they are smart and will figure out where the shock is coming from and only misbehave when they know they can get away with it.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:12 pm

Cool shrp. That is why i love this site. You can get good sound advice from the folks that have tried it. :salude:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby brdprey » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:18 pm

we use a no bark we got from petsmart...........works kinda ok but youll want the large collar.........it really gives them a bite. and they will learn realy quick
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Stanwood » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:19 pm

We got a no bark collar. When do we use it,{take it off at night,ect.}?
How long do think we need to use it?

Stanwood
Stanwood
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:25 pm

stanwood, Like i said before i have never used one. but i do use e collars. If you just purchased the no bark collar. then put it on your dog and let him wear it for a few days. Don't turn it on . let him think it is just another collar. the after a few days, turn it on. when he barks, zap. he doesn't know what zapped him, he just knows he got zapped. after a few times of this, he will soon put 2 and 2 together. when i bark i get bit on the neck.. then he will soon learn not to bark.
If you put the collar on him day one and turn it on he will put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4. dad put this thing on my neck and it bites me for no reason.
Sometimes we have to trick our pups into learning. Its called training. :smile:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:01 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:stanwood, Like i said before i have never used one. but i do use e collars. If you just purchased the no bark collar. then put it on your dog and let him wear it for a few days. Don't turn it on . let him think it is just another collar. the after a few days, turn it on. when he barks, zap. he doesn't know what zapped him, he just knows he got zapped. after a few times of this, he will soon put 2 and 2 together. when i bark i get bit on the neck.. then he will soon learn not to bark.
If you put the collar on him day one and turn it on he will put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4. dad put this thing on my neck and it bites me for no reason.
Sometimes we have to trick our pups into learning. Its called training. :smile:

:withstupid: couldn't have said it better!!! :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 am

Just a caution to people. If you have two dogs in your kennel if one dog grabs the colar and shakes it it will shock the dog. If you only have one dog it will work fine, they do work very quickly.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum