4th of July

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

4th of July

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:41 am

This used to be one of my favorite holidays, because I love fireworks, but since I've got dogs now it has moved down on my list a bit.

This is just a warning to dog owners to watch your dog if you are going to be around anywhere that fireworks will be present. The last thing you need to do is make your puppy gunshy because of a careless night of fireworks.

Both of my dog's are not the least bit gunshy, but I don't take any chances with fireworks, because that is a ton of sqealing, exploding, and other such stuff that doesn't sound quite like a 12 gauge. I put mine in a crate and turn a radio up really loud so it drowns out the sound. This worked last year, so this is what I'll be doing again this year.

I thought about this last night because some kids were already shooting them off on my street. Have a good fourth and remember what it's really about. :thumbsup:
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:39 pm

GSP, you make a good point. I don't have to worry about fireworks or any other noise for that matter ( other than the door bell). My dog was on my job site at 7 wks. along with skil saws, nail guns and all kinds of other noises. I have had ACE sleeping under my saw horses when i was cutting a roof package.
There are some dogs at the park that we hang out with and when there is a big noise like a firework or something else, the dogs run behind their owners. ACE just looks at them like "Hey guys its just noise? What are you runnin for?"
But your right about people who havn't exposed their pups to noise or gun fire. the 4th is a bad time to ruin a dog!!!
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:57 am

there are only a couple of noises that my dog seems to notice. everything else he sleeps right through or pays absolutely no attention to whatsoever. fireworks don't seem to bother him in the least. i did start shooting over him pretty early on too.

now sirens, drive him nuts. he howls so loud everytime he hears one. anyone else have a 120+lb lab that howls? it is a trip...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 am

I don't know if fireworks would bother mine or not, I just don't want to take any chances. To much time and energy spent on them to have them ruined in one night.

My Uncle loves to get them 10,000 rolls of firecrackers and the 100 shots of Saturn missiles. The biggest waste of money in my opinion, but he likes hearing the noise I guess. These are the 2 things that scare me most with my dogs.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:15 pm

Now, I don't own a dog...but my cousin and her husband (one of my duck hunting buddies) has two of 'em. This fourth of july I told them the suggestions of crankin' up the radio etc. in order to keep them in hunting condition. well, they put 'em inside and they were no worse for wear. After the fireworks however, my brother, his girlfriend and myself settled down to a nice little bonfire when out on the lake we heard swishing and snorting. A dog was in the lake swimming in the dark and would not come when called. We decided the best thing to do was grab my fishing boat and try to get it. we had two headlamps and my spot-light was dead, so she and I headed out in the dark. Long story short, we recovered the dog who was frightened and cold...and after boating around part of the lake we finally found it's owners. they had been looking for him since the fireworks starrted. to top it off the dog was blind. old and blind, but safely back home. what a night.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

I was lucky

Postby ducks_rule_17 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:39 pm

My gunshy test was the fourth of July firework show in 2004. I guess I got lucky that my dog isnt gunshy. I knew he wasnt before the show and I dont think he ever will be afraid of anything. He just sat there or moved around as if nothing was going on. The two things that he is afraid of are a monday night football figure that sings and plays music and moves and a fake latern that has fake fire it has a light and a fan that moves the cloth to look like fire it also makes a humming noise. anyways I got so luck that he isnt gunshy.I am still young and stupid. I am only 16 and i 15 in march of 2004 and i got my dog in april of 2004. I taught him everything he knows. which isnt much just the basics sit, stay, fetch it up, hunt it up(means use your nose), come here, all that good stuff. just a basic hunting dog. he is a black lab I got him free but didnt get the papers because he was free and he also isnt going to be a field trial dog or breed he is neutured (how ever you spell that)
ducks_rule_17
Newb

Postby bullet » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:08 pm

ducks_rule_17...For a 16 yr old your doing a fine job with your Lab and I'm sure its a great hunting companion. First post welcome to the board
bullet
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:15 pm

Just because your young doesn't mean you can't be a good handler. I was only 18 when I got my first shorthair and I think I do a fine job. We'll see what the judges say this fall though.

As for testing a dog for gunshyness. Not a good idea. It's good that you realize this now, but the question about it is, What happens if the dog failed that test. Then you've just possibly created a gunshyness problem. My dogs do fine with the occasional bottle rocket, but once those artillery shells start going off at dusk, it's time for the kennel inside.

Good job helping that dog out Trois.
Brian
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum