Forced to Fetch

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Forced to Fetch

Postby bullet » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:38 pm

Alot of talk on this subject, I spent the weekend training my pup in Los Banos area (South of SF for those that live in Ca.) Now that we have Bullet FF it makes life so much easier for the next steps of training. We've begun hand signals and on a water retrieve we can cast him back/right again and again down the canal for as many yards as we want. to show the simplicity of the dogs, we haven't trained him back/left yet so he won't do it. Dogs just won't do what they're not taught. You would think back/right is easy lets go back/left but he just continues his retrieve to hand. More repetetive bumper work and he'll have both. Important keys to blind retrieves. This pup is a better bred pup than my previous 2 (Grandson to Lean Mac), and I think am learning more than the pup is. I just don't feel you can go to these levels w/out being FF. Here's Bullet nodding off while FF'd. I think he's got it but that's usually about the time they tell you different. thanks for letting me share.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_th ... pic_id=640

Well can't get the pic to get bigger, but he's in the Photo album here in the dog section.....I hate computers LOL
bullet
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:06 pm

I was out doing the same type work with my pup today also. I was at the san jose retriever club. Its just some land off 101 outside of san jose, with some ponds and other types of cover. I will agree that the FF helps things out down the road. I feel like i have much more control over my dog. He listens a lot better.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby bullet » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Acebldrs, We weren't that far apart. I've learned that you have to put these dogs in as many areas as possible. Doing hand signals on bumpers we seemed to be getting it and as soon as I turned 180 degrees and worked the other way the pup had a brain fart. For me it seems like we need to learn on as many areas as possible, until he gains confidence in me.
bullet
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:40 pm

I like to go to as many different places as i can. I rarely will train in the same place for an extended period of time. I Think it builds the dogs confidence. By doing this i feel comfortable that no matter the situation my dog will have confidence in me as well as confidence in himself. We arn't afficially into handsignals yet, still finishing up on the FF. I want to have him very solid. we talk alot about going to fast in our training and skipping steps, and i have been guilty of this, until i saw the light. I have moved the other way now. I feel like o.k. he has it down, so what happens if i take it slow and give him another week or so to make sure he REALLY has it down. So far everything is going great. The only thing that makes me nervous about training out in grassy fields this time of year is the foxtails. I try to keep him out of those. I've already had one removed from his nose a when he was a pup.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to Hunting Dog Forum