** Training Tools **

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

** Training Tools **

Postby cooter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:42 am

Just wondering what tools you guys are using for Training ? ? ? Maybe, why you like it better than something else ? ? ?

I am suppose to get Winger, this week to do some Field Testing with. Looks like very nice Winger. I use Zinger Wingers in my training, but run into this guy making a new one, that looks to be of the Quality of Zinger, but about $100 less money. I'll keep ya posted to it's ability in the Field. I don't have Gunner Up due to they didn't have the quality I needed when they first came out. But it seems like now they are starting to get the quality kinks worked out, and producing a nicer winger.

I feel that Zinger is the best Winger out there, but this New one may be going to give it a run for it's money. The one I saw was quality constructed, and was throwing about 7-10 higher than Zinger. Then the BIG thing $100 cheaper. :getdown:

Tools I use:

Tri-Tronics Pro-500 for training
Dogtra 1200NC for hunting
Dogtra Electronics
Bumper Boy
Zinger Winger
Max-5000
Dokken Ducks
Honda Foreman 4 X 4 ATV :mrgreen: (Get'n Old) :laughing:
Spinning Wing Decoys
Mallard Machines
Cooter Dog Stand
Pinch Collars over Choke Chains

Guess that is the main stuff. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby bullet » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:17 am

I wish I had all those tools
TT Pro-100
50 assorted bumpers
Luckdog dummy launcher
check cord
cat kennel for pigeons LOL
choke collar
Roy G whistle
Heeling stick- a must
Thats it
bullet
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:23 am

I don't use many training tools other than Dokken ducks and plain ol' bumpers. Haven't used a check cord in years nor an e-collar. She's easy enough to handle without the collar. I also trap pigeons off the top of a building downtown.

The most I ever use is when we set up mock hunts 3 times a month. I'll pick up some ducks at a local guy's place, set out a couple dozen decoys, set up the boat blind and grab some shotguns. I have plenty of buddies that will throw and shoot the ducks.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 am

Blinds
Decoys
Silhouettes
Ducks
Flags
Popper gun
Blank pistol
E-collars
Bumpers
Flat collars
Choke collars
Check cords
Healing Stick
Bucket
Bumpers
Dokkens
Whistles
Duck calls
Goose calls
Crates
Lucky dog launcher
Bird Scent

Obviously too much :eek:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:11 pm

You forgat one,"Hey Quack I'm havin' a Trainin' Day... do ya think you can come over & he'p a brutha out... " :yes:

The best part is I get to bring my dawg & show everybody just how well she trained me. :hammering:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:43 pm

training tools? i use a boot and a tennis ball. you mean there are other things out there?
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:30 pm

probably one of the most important training tool, and something that i do not have, is a training partner. There is nobody around where i live that i personally know that has as much passion for training my dog as i do. Also, my schedule is kind of all over the place. I am a builder, and some days at 1p.m. i decide it is a perfect time to train while other times it is at 6p.m.

I wish i could get into a group that i felt comfortable with and train with on a regular basis.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby bullet » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:59 pm

ACE. I couldn't agree more. My pups learning Honoring right now and it's not something he cares for either.
bullet
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 pm

I think having a thrower helps the dogs mark a lot better. They get better at surveying their surrounding for the duck rather than expecting it to come from me.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby cooter » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:05 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:probably one of the most important training tool, and something that i do not have, is a training partner. There is nobody around where i live that i personally know that has as much passion for training my dog as i do. Also, my schedule is kind of all over the place. I am a builder, and some days at 1p.m. i decide it is a perfect time to train while other times it is at 6p.m.

This is true, but buying a few of these tools will help with all of your problems but 1. Honoring. But, I think by buying a few tools, most of the stuff can be done at home, alone.

I think if a guy bought him a Bumper Bump and a couple of winger, you could set up more patterns than you could think of. This is the route I have gone also. I don't want to be a larger training kennel. Because then you haft to pay for help to make up for the help with the all the dogs you have.

I have enough equipment to do the training by myself. Then I put on a Training Day, every so often to meet the local guys, give ppointers on problems they are having, and work Socialization and Honoring with my dogs.

Start of just buying a piece every so often. It will add up. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum