Has anyone ever bought a started dog?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Has anyone ever bought a started dog?

Postby duckdog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:38 pm

Been looking around on the web (bored :yes: ) seen some ads for started dog's. Alot of these were for dog's close to a year old, all the way up to three year's old. Alot of them were priced over 1000.00 dollars. They did'nt seem to be anything special either. Was just wandering if anyone has ever bought one, or know somebody that did, or just some feedback.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:42 pm

duckdog, I know a guide that claims that he spent 5k on a FINISHED dog. I hope not because it is not finished in my mind. Good at several things, but great at none. Just isn't solid on things. In the dogs defence, I have not hunted with it, just seen some handling in the field briefly. So I may be quick to judge.

I'm not sure what you are getting with a started dog. Just o.b. through force fetch. Who knows how far along they are.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby bullet » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:22 am

http://www.gundogsonline.com/
Go to this site and click on the started retrievers. They go like hotcakes.
bullet
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:08 am

Ace with a started dog you get OB through FF for sure. Depending on a dogs age and ability level you could get a dog that is all the way through transition work and into advanced work, ie. doing cold blind retrieves, LONG distance singles, complex doubles and into triples.

I know a guy that will buy dogs and then train them and sell them as started dogs and he will get anywhere from 1500-3000 a pop for them. There is definatley a market for it if you are capeable of doing it.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby cooter » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Started Dogs ($1500-$2500) Starting with the breeding of the dog. My puppies go for $800-$1500 at 7weeks, which is added on to the training time. But typically you get a dog thru FF with a Started Dog. Some are starting pile work and such. But once they reach transition, the price tends to start rising with each new step the dog takes.

Transition Dogs ($2500-$4000) according to the level of training.

Finished Dogs ($4000-$6000) according to the level and how nice a dog he ready is (Performing). But a finished dog should be able to compete at the MH Level.

There are always deals to be found. But you usually haft to research to find them. cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum