try the pound

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

try the pound

Postby texan68 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:31 pm

went looking through the local pound the other day just to see what I could find, and was surprised to find a lot of pure bred retrievers. Everything from labs all colors all ages to golden retrievers to one nice but hiper chessy. After looking through the bunch I decided to save a life and go with a nice 2 year old female choc lab...only $35 with all shots, and one of those microchip things. It was a real shock to find out that they bring in nearly 100 dogs a day, and half of em are killed. So next time you are in the market for a new dog, try the pound.
texan68
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:03 pm

:withstupid: Glad to hear you rescued a good dog from an early end.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:38 pm

thats a dang cheap hunting dog.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:48 pm

glad to hear you have found a good companion. i hope things go well for you. unfortunately, it's really hard to find good pups at the pound as specific as i am about age requirements. (49 days strictly) i deviated from that plan one time and i regretted it horribly. that doesn't mean you'll have a bad experience too.

on a side note, the SPCA here doesn't put dogs down. they said that is a popular misconception of SPCA in general. i spoke with them at length about this because my sister had a lab and i couldn't take it. we wanted to make sure it didn't get put to sleep. they even had the new owners contact her when they got the dog a few weeks later. fwiw...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:55 am

Good for you. Congrats.

You are tooting my horn. I have become a fanatic about encouraging people to fix their dogs because there are huge numbers of dogs (many purebred) that end up in the pound. And locally, they do put them to sleep after about two weeks. That varies slightly depending on the attractiveness (breed and temperament) of the dog. Otherwise, there is no room for the volume of new arrivals.

We are GSP fans and have a 6 year old female currently. We are planning to add another to our family after our summer vacation. Our plan is to go save one from a rescue center for shorthairs. And sadly, there are a lot to choose from.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:02 am

Good post. Your right, it is sad to see that many dogs in the pound. That is why I spend more time talking people out of getting a dog than vice versa. I especially spend lots of time telling people not to get Chessies because they are a lot different than a normal lab.

Oh yeah, my "pound" dog retrieved over 300 ducks last year. Pretty good for his first year. It was a nightmare for the first 6 months though, he was hyper and had horible mannors. I am sure glad I got him now though.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum