OLD DOG NEW TRICKS???

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS???

Postby southernBuster » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:17 pm

i have a three yr old chessie, great dog. i want to start hunting. he probably has more talent than i do but anybody have any training tips, {for the both of us
southernBuster
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 pm

How's his obediance. Does he sit when told, Does he stay. Does he heal. #1 does he like retrieving things. If he has a strong desire to retrieve, i.e. the tennis ball or something, then you are on your way. If he isn't interested in retrieving by now, you might not have the dog. If he has good obediance and likes to retrieve then you already have somewhat of a huntin dog. I don't have a lot of advice, but others on here will have some great advice for you to procede.

If you answer these questions for us, we will then know a little bit more about your pup.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby southernBuster » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:55 pm

he is an excellent retriever. i once pointed out a duck at a pond and told him to go just to see what he would do, and do you know he tired the thing completley out until it played dead then brought it back with out a scratch. his obedience is good but i wouldnt say graet . he will heal and will sit on ready. his stay needs some work but he will usually come the first time i call he's a great swimmer and has a lot of natural hunting talents. he has a couple of masters , senior and feild champions in his line and it shows.
southernBuster
hunter

Postby bullet » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:47 am

SB, have you had this dog from Pup, or did you just aquire it. Yes you can teach an old dog new tricks. I would start by getting a book like "10 minute retriever" so you understand some of the concepts of retriever dogs. Its much more difficult to teach older dogs because of the learning curve, but it isn't impossible by any means. Also what kind of hunting will you be doing w/ the dog,
bullet
hunter

Postby southernBuster » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:42 pm

we have had the dog since he was 7mos old. he's a chessie and very intuitive and smart. i wojavascript:emoticon(':smile:')
Smiling (he's the recently three legged chessie) i am an ameture duck hunter so i guess i am the old dog needing to learn the new tricks !!
love the girl , love her Chessie!
southernBuster
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum