training a dog to hunt dead birds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

training a dog to hunt dead birds

Postby birdgunner04 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:34 pm

Does anyone have a good way to train a dog to hunt dead? I can't figure out how to make mine keep looking when I know a bird is down.
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:47 am

Use dead/shot ducks or birds. If the dog is birdy enough they will hunt until they find it. The scent will help with that too and scenting/tracking is an important part of a complete training regiment.

Beyond that, I used the command "Find It" when my dog goes into hunt mode. If it is a mark in thick cover then I goad him with the "Find It" command. If it is a blind HUNTING retrieve and I get him in the immediate area, I use "Find It" to let him know that I've gotten him as close as I can get him and he needs to take over at that point. I also use "Find It" to get him to start searching under other circumstances. Several times we've had ducks swim off into tall grass around our hole during a hunt, usually when there were other birds still working or other dead birds out. One time we knew a drake was down in the tall grass and we just waited until after the hunt and I took my dog over there, commanded "Find It", and he knew to go into sniffing mode. It was two hours after the duck was shot.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:47 pm

I started my dog when I first got her at 9 weeks old. She showed alot of intrest in a pheasant wing, I would just play fetch in the yard. When she was 12 weeks I moved to taller grass. As she progressed, I switched to a canvas dummy and soaked it with pheasant scent. Eventually I used a cheap $60 dummy launcher with a little bit of scent on the dummy. That launcher would fire the dummy 60-70 yards. As she got older, her nose became better and she doesn't have too much trouble anymore.

I don't know your dog or how old it is, but that worked for me. Good luck.
Keith S.
hunter

Re: training a dog to hunt dead birds

Postby canhunter » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:15 pm

[quote="birdgunner04"]Does anyone have a good way to train a dog to hunt dead? I can't figure out how to make mine keep looking when I know a bird is down.[/quote] same here 'cept hes only 6 weeks
canhunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum