Duck Hunting Forum banner

Help me pick e collar

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  HNTFSH 
#1 ·
Alright guys I am killing myself trying to decide. There are things I like about all of these, and things that I dont like. I need some help, they are all close in price. I am trying to stay under $250. My lab is not a field trial dog, she is a meat dog. Yes she has been collared conditioned and trained she is almost 4, I just want to upgrade from my sportdog 425. Let me know what you like, or use These are the ones I am thinking about

Garmin Delta Sport XC
Dogtra 1900NCP
DT Systems H2O series
DT Systems Micro-iDT

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks guys. The dogtra is the one I seem to get the most interest about. Alot of people seem to to really like them. No it doesnt matter if she is a field dog or meat dog. I was just saving people time asking that question. I know some trainers like different collars for different situations. Let keep the opinions coming please

#6 ·
Tenner said:
I know some trainers like different collars for different situations. Let keep the opinions coming please
Features vary but the manufacturer quality doesn't much.

TriTronics/Garmin are historically quality as is Dogtra. SportDog and DT Systems not so much. Of your list I said 1900 but I wouldn't personally use one. It's just the better of the 4.

As far as different uses, a serious trainer is not going to use or want a 'vibrate' or pre-warning 'tone' feature. It goes against the principle of the e-collar. Distance rated can matter cause of distance work and reliability of use. Nothing is as good as it's rated. Try talking 35 miles away on a pair of $80.00 35 mile rated walkie talkies.

Number of settings might matter but IMO that's over thinking it. My Tritronics has 6 settings, never found value in more than that. Sure wouldn't want to think through 75 incremental settings. Dog would die of boredom.

Never personally cared for digital over dial either.

Ergonomics matters too. I find a small transmitter fine for hunting (cause I rarely use one hunting) and greatly prefer something solid to hold when actually training and using it. The Garmin Sport you listed looks like a pet trainer model, it's low end.

Your price point is close to a nice e-collar. I'd personally invest a bit more and get more, for a longer period of time. No fun replacing collars or having problems.

#7 ·
I agree with a lot of what HNT said. I like a bigger transmitter for training. I can easily feel where the the different buttons are and you know for sure if you are mashing one. I also am not a fan of so many stim levels. I want a dial with distinct changes in stim.

Where I differ is the tone, however I agree it is not used for "pre-warning" during training. My dog is trained to come in when I use tone. It is essentially a come in whistle. It comes in very handy in multiple situations when I don't want to be blasting away on the whistle. I know for sure he hears it and he knows exactly what it means. Whether he is free running while I drive the ranch or we are hunting upland and he is ranging too far are just a couple applications.

Out of that list in that price range. The dogtra is the one I would go with. No matter what you decide from a price point, do yourself a favor and limit your search to Garmin/Tri-Tronics and Dogtra.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone...I have decided on Dogtra...Lots of good reviews and the product seems to hold up to harsh elements. So my next question...I am going to expand my list.

1900 NCP
2300 NCP
ARC

They are all really close in price. Is the only difference in the 1900 and 2300 the distance? Then does anyone have any experience with the new ARC...its a low-mid stimulation rather than low-high Its also alot smaller it looks liked.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

#12 ·
From the list presented, I would also go with the Dogtra 1900. I've used and owned just about every make out there...from Tritronics, Dogtra, DT Systems, SportDog, InnoTek, PetSafe, etc.

Generally, I've found only the higher end TriTronics and Dogtra collars to be reliable. You get what you pay for.

It's long been my opinion that most collar manufacturers overthink the levels/features/gizmos on collars in an attempt to be technologically superior to their competitors, but in the end, all I want is a waterproof/bombproof collar that nicks and burns with a variable intensity...a tone feature is okay, but not necessary to me. Anything else is just window dressing.

My favorite collars of all time:
TriTronics Field 90 (simple, rugged and reliable)
Dogtra 2000 (no longer made) probably the most rugged collar made to date. I have one that still takes a charge and is a backup.
TriTronics Pro 500 (as nice as a Field 90, but not as simple to use)

If I were shopping for a collar right now, I'd probably pick up a Dogtra Edge. If you look online or find a Dogtra rep. you can get one for about $300.

#15 ·
Tenner said:
The collar will be used when waterfowl hunting and training...I wanted something a little more higher end than the sportdog 425.
Thanks - when you threw the 'Arc' into the ring it didn't make sense. The 1900 and 2300 are similar. I'd go the latter.

Actually I wouldn't do either but of the ones you listed that's what I'd do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.