need help with dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

need help with dog

Postby fabes468 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:43 pm

my dog has a nasty habit...it likes deer, and not just any deer...fawns. she has killed one and allmost another if i didnt step in to stop her. any suggestions on how to stop her would be very helpfull :help: :help:
FABES
fabes468
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 pm

there are some methods that owners of coon hounds use to break dogs from hunting/chasing deer that may work for you. Do a search for breeder/handlers in your area and ask them for help. I broke my large hounds of it the first time they struck deer scent and tried to run it by using a buddies shocking collar. After that they never even hesitated when run through a deer yard while cat hunting. By the way we purposely put these hounds on fresh deer scent so that we could see their reaction before the training and after. Good luck especially after your dog has had a taste for killing a deer. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby cooter » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Never have never had to do that for a dog, but that is the same principle for Snake Proofing. Soon as the dog gets a look at the snake BANG (LEVEL-5-HIGH) Next session, soon as they get on the trial BANG (LEVEL-5-HIGH). Then as soon as they get the scent BANG (LEVEL-5-HIGH). Doesn take but a few of those to send the dog the other way, when they get THAT scent. I would figure it would work here, but like I said. I have never done it for deer.
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 pm

Exactly what Greg said. It's called trash breaking. You want your dog to associate deer scent with nothing but bad, especially if he's killing fawns. :thumbsdown:

I do it with snakes, possums, coons, deer, and any thing else that might come up. Like Greg said, the easiest way is with an ecollar because you can correct as soon as the smell hits the nose. By correct I mean give the dog a bad experience, one that the dog will not soon forget or soon repeat.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum