breeding

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

breeding

Postby Snaph » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:16 am

Man I hate to post this, but I don't know what else to do. My wife wants to breed our AKC yellow lab. Just once. I don't.
1. we already have 3 dogs
2. She is an unproven hunter.
3. There are already too many Labs
4. I hate dog nipples
5. Back to 1. I will want to keep one pup.
6. I get attached to dogs way to easy.
7. I will not sell the pups to just anybody.
8. The cost of dew claws removed and shots and worming will be hell (for the litter)
9. I don't know anything about this thing of breeding.
10. We do not even have a stud to breed with yet.
11. I need some help.

I don't know what to do. I am not bad mouthing my wife by any way shape or form. I just don't want to add more pups to this world than we already have. :help:
Snaph
hunter

Re: breeding

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:51 am

Snafu518 wrote: 2. She is an unproven hunter.

9. I don't know anything about this thing of breeding.

right there ought to be enough of a reason to not do it. I am happy to hear that you are thinking about this seriously instead of like alot of other people see Dollar Signs flash in their eyes. There is no reason to breed dogs just to breed dogs and make money it should be taken very very seriously thinking about the traits (not only from parents but grandparents and great grandparents ect) that will be passed on. and if she is an unproven hunter, not to say that she won't be a good hunter later on, then there is definatley no reason to breed her. Labs are hunting dogs and there is no reason to be diluting the population with a bunch of dogs that are not hunters. By doing that you begin to see the problems that you see in the Golden breed...everyone wanted them for pets and all the hunt was bred out of them, now its tough to find a golden with hunting stock. This is just my .02 but if it were me I would NOT do it. Leave the breeding to the proffesionals that know what they are doing

Scott[/b]
cmelik10
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:16 am

CMELIK hit the nail on the head. Unproven hunters should not be bread. The idea of just having a litter of puppies because they are cute, is not a good reason to breed. You can find an outrageous amount of AKC Labs in the Sunday classifieds. That registry almost means nothing now.

Another thing with breeding unproven hunters that I hear all the time, is that "Man his/her pedigree is unbelievable. Her mom/dad was like a Field Champion and everything." Well that's a start, but still not grounds for breeding.

Here is a suggestion, if you already train regularly and your dogs are good, run them in AKC hunt tests, HRC tests, or some of the other venues out there. It's fun, and this will show you how your dog stacks up against other "Hunting Dogs".

Bottom line, is that unless you want to prove these dogs worth, then I wouldn't breed.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:50 am

Talk to her about all of your points or better yet if you know a breeder near you take you wife to talk to them about breeding and your concerns.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:27 pm

JJ is right. For some reason hearing things come from people other than wifes, husbands, girlfriends, and other family members just makes it more believable for some reason. Especially if the person is a professional breeder.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:19 pm

Hey guys thanks. I feel the same way. I like the idea of going to a breeder. One of her friends works for a Vet and told her it is a bad idea.
I don't know, this is frustrating.
Snaph
hunter

Postby southernBuster » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:43 pm

hey definately listen to these guys!! also direct her to the new womens forum if you want. the other thing to look at when breeding labs especially if healt. the breed has been so over bred that many dogs suffer from hip and eye problems later on in life. why bring a dog into this world and let a family love it just to have to spend 100's later on in vet bills trying to keep the dog comfortable or just having to put it down. its a devistating thing to think about for the owners and for the dog. you can always pay to do all of the dna testing etc. to find out if your pups will have problems but there again you are looking at putting a lot of $$ into the pups and then if they get sick and die you lose money, or if they dont sell for the same cost you would have to put into them , once again you lose money. I dont want to be a pesimist just giving out a healthy dose of reality. good luck!!
love the girl , love her Chessie!
southernBuster
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:11 pm

Your preaching to the choir. But keep posting, All the info that I can get I need to use.
Snaph
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:20 pm

Hey Snafu, read this and have your wife read it.

http://www.godivalabs.com/bitch.html

I think it is very good. I know it has been said, but eyes should be CERF'd for clarity. $50. Hips should be OFA'd $200+. These things should be a minimum. I know you are thinking along these lines just had to say it.

good luck, i know how those wimin get when they want something.

Maybe you could ask stouff for some help, he is in tune to the thinking of the female. :laughing:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Snaph » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 pm

ACE, Thank you...that is what I needed.
Snaph
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:38 pm

:thumbsup: I know , because i read the one on breeding males. I am thinking about it.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to Hunting Dog Forum