how many dogs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

how many dogs?

Postby Cashman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:02 pm

How many dogs do you hunt ducks with? I used to use one lab but now am going to two. My first is getting old.
Cashman
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:30 pm

You can hunt with however many dogs you and your buddy's can control, if there well trained then it's not a big deal to have two or three in one blind, but if they wine, all go for one duck, bark whatever I'd stick with one at a time, if your doing allot of shooting and your dog has to go along ways to get one, then you might need more than one, but they need to learn to honor another dog first or I wouldn't even try.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby muskiemac » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:47 am

I think that you can easily run with two dogs at a time. It is really important that you have the new dog down pat on obedience. I will train all three of mine at a time, and have them take turns honoring. Usually which ever dog is the steadiest and quitest will get to go, and it takes very little time for them to figure this out. I would also think about teaching them to heel onopposite sides of you. The you can progress to working them out of a small box with a rope to keep them super steady.
muskiemac
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum