German Shorthair Breeders

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

German Shorthair Breeders

Postby Jarred » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 am

Hello,

I was looking to get a GSP and was wondering if anyone from NJ, PA, or NY have any information or can recommend reputable breeders to me. I am from North Jersey and would like a breeder somewhat close to me so can travel and see the kennel and the dogs. Any information would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have a dog from a particular breeder or have hunted over one of them knowing first hand the types of dogs the kennels could possibly produce.. Thanks for your time

Jarred
Jarred
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Try this guy. Between himself and the breeders he works with, he should be able to help you out. Very good dogs. I've hunted over several of their dogs. Excellent. His website is: www.gsp-versatility.com
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby Jarred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:14 am

Hi..

Thanks alot for the website !! Best of luck this season

Jarred
Jarred
hunter

Postby pangler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 pm

PM Sent
pangler
Newb

Postby montana bound » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Heres one in Dillsburge PA , he has some nice dogs

http://lildikenskennels.com/

And heres one in MT carmel PA with some nice dogs too.

http://www.mbfkennels.com/
hunter

Postby briarpatch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Them mbfkennels dogs have real nice pedigrees..
what type of hunting do you want the dog to do mostly?
briarpatch
Newb

Postby MAArcher » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:21 am

They aren't close, but you should seriously consider Merrymeeting Kennels in Brunswick, ME. Blaine and Patti Carter are awsome and raise awsome dogs. Do a google search on them and review the North American Versitile Hunding Dog Association (www.NAVHDA.org) website for articles and test results. They are also officers of the yankee NAVHDA chapter (www.yankeenavhda.org).

Great dogs in the field and home. My dog Annie isn't even two yet and she's good on Pheasant, woodcock and Grouse. She's also retrieved Geese and Ducks. Without bloodtrail training she helped me take a blood trail 50 yards further along than three guys and six hours of tracking did on an 18 hour old trail that had been walked all over (we still lost the deer, but I think thats only due to lack of training and/or the deer survived). I think her only limitation is my lack of training time and ability. If I can mange the time to teach her a blind retrieve and perfect the blood tracking, I will have the perfect dog for me. And she's sweet as pie to my three year old daughter, even when she's trying to pull her ears off. What more can you ask for?

Oh ya, I also have tried to train her a little to find shed antlers. She hasn't brough back a shed yet, but she has brought back a Moose leg bone while grouse hunting, so I think she has the idea. That's a whole lot of developing talent for one little puppy!
MAArcher
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:17 am

I live in Michigan and have a GSP. I agree my pup is a 5 month old female and she is a sweetie. Best dog I ever had. I am thinking I'll be able to hunt here after just about anything. She has sniffed out rabbits and squirrels and will point at any bird or thing that moves. They are such a versitile dog. I can't wait to have her ready to go on her first hunt. I'm hoping to hunt her for ducks as well as upland, and at the rate she shiffs and points I don't think it will be long. Make sure of their hunting background of the parrents. it makes things come so natuaral its not even funny. I've been doing basic obediance and retriving training with her and once shes got that down pat (shes pretty darn close. Only when shes distracted is she hard headed) I think she'll be ready to go after real live birds. Good luck in finding a puppy! You won't be disapointed with a GSP
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum