Hunting Poodles

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Hunting Poodles

Postby chithanh119 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:19 am

My girl friend prob some day wife is allergic to dog dander, I understand that the poodels are so called hypoalergenic so the allergies wouldn't be a problem. Has anyone hunted with a standard poodle and what thoughts do you have of them.
chithanh119
Newb

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:06 am

I hunted with a damn good one in maine.... they don't swim as good as a lab or chessie because the feet are not webbed. They don't take the brutal cold as well and the hunting instinct has been removed from the breed by show breeders. If you take your time and dig you can find some that have some instinct in them still and make a fine hunting dog outta them.

I owned one as a kid before i duck hunted but i upland bird hunted him and he was known to tree a coon or two on his own. Don't believe the hype there actually pretty good gun dogs if you can get the right blood line.
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:51 am

Golden doodles have webbed feet and dont shed,Their are a couple of them in my group O/B classes I go to.Altho the 2 Ive seen are a little nasty to other dogs they appear to be up to the task.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby wuzzagrunt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 am

I don't know a thing about this kennel, or their lines, but I post this FYI:

http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/index.html

I've never seen a hunting Poodle, but a properly constructed SP is a joy to watch move. SPs aren't built for the harshest conditions retrievers operate in, but they could be a worthwhile versatile retriever/upland hunter. I remain somewhat skeptical of the hypoallergenic claims. For allergic individuals, they may be easier to tolerate than other breeds. I dunno.
Last edited by wuzzagrunt on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wuzzagrunt
hunter

Postby Airedale » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:13 am

I hunt Iowa for pheasants each year for vacation. One of the regulars makes it every other year. He brings his standard poodle. He started this dog late (about 5 years old) but the dog does ok. He quarters fairly well and seems to have a good nose. I dropped a cripple in front of him in 2007 and he had a pretty good chase and retrieve on a bird with plenty of fight left in him.

I suspect a standard from a line with some hunting blood would do well.

Remember, hunting over non traditional dogs can take a bunch of patience.

Dave
Airedale
hunter

poodles

Postby PeteV » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:10 am

I thought the same was said for the American Water Spaniel. They shed very little and are good gundogs, that I can attest to.
PeteV
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:45 am

Airedale wrote:Remember, hunting over non traditional dogs can take a bunch of patience.

Depends on what you think of as "non-traditional" dogs--poodles (or pudels as they originated in Germany) only have about 400-500 years of rerieving tradition. Or, maybe 50 years goes far enough back to make them "traditional:" http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby Airedale » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:14 am

crackerd wrote:
Airedale wrote:Remember, hunting over non traditional dogs can take a bunch of patience.

Depends on what you think of as "non-traditional" dogs--poodles (or pudels as they originated in Germany) only have about 400-500 years of rerieving tradition. Or, maybe 50 years goes far enough back to make them "traditional:" http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

MG

I fully understand-I've hunted over Airedales for ~20 years.
Dave
Airedale
hunter

Postby Spj » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Are curly coated retrievers hypo allergenic?
Spj
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:40 pm

I thought this thread would be about actually shooting poodles. haha
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby jsm1977 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:00 pm

get whatever dog you want, and keep him outside.
JS McKinney
--------------
Captain Augustus McCray IV JH
jsm1977
hunter

Poodles in Iowa?

Postby g7777777 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:00 pm

so who had a poodle in Iowa for sale?
g7777777
hunter

Postby TN_LAB » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm not sure if the poodles of today still have strong instincts, but I thought (i could be wrong) the poodle was bred as a cold water hunting dog.

I know of a couple that are in our local retriever club. I think one has JH title and the other has MH title.
Stray labs make great pets.
TN_LAB
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:52 pm

DuckSlyer16 wrote:I thought this thread would be about actually shooting poodles. haha

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I also didn't thing people would be able to resist the dark side on this post, but they have. Must be the Christmas spirit and good will toward all.

Though I must admit, I am fighting the temptation. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Yes, breeders of hunting standard poodles do exist:

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... rd-poodle/

Also, you should include the Irish Water Spaniel and the American Water Spaniel in your search for a low allergy duck dog.
T-Bone
hunter

Postby mike51098 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 pm

I cant believe anyone hunts with a poodle or doodle of any kind. Get a lab or chessie, they can be an outside dog. Otherwise replace the wife/gf.
mike51098
hunter

Postby wuzzagrunt » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:57 am

mike51098 wrote:I cant believe anyone hunts with a poodle or doodle of any kind. Get a lab or chessie, they can be an outside dog. Otherwise replace the wife/gf.

A good dog is a good dog. If a poodle has decent hunting instincts, it would be an interesting dog to train and hunt with. The Standard Poodles I have met have all been on the "Scary Smart" end of the doggie IQ spectrum.
wuzzagrunt
hunter

Postby Paddles Down » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:33 pm

I don't know about poodles but I know golden doodles or laberdoodles are suposed to be hypoallergenic and might be worth a look.
Paddles Down
Paddles Down
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Paddles Down wrote:I don't know about poodles but I know golden doodles or laberdoodles are suposed to be hypoallergenic and might be worth a look.

I could be wrong but would bet you are far more assured of getting a good dog from a purebred litter bred for working (yes, even a poodle) than you would from a labradoodle or golden doodle. I have yet to see a litter from a responsible, hunting, working line breeding in either.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby copterdoc » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:20 pm

I am extremely allergic to dogs. The whole idea that shedding causes allergic reaction is poppycock.

There are no "hypoallergenic" dogs! The reaction is to oils and dandruff that ALL dogs excrete.
The only dogs that seem to not shedd are dogs with no undercoat. Those dogs can't take cold water, because the fluffy, downy undercoat is what insulates.

The only thing that helps me, is to spend enough time with a dog that I get used to it.

Marketing is taking over everything these days.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:09 pm

By the way, I have nothing against hunting with a poodle. All breeds of dogs have their own strengths and weaknesses.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:44 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Paddles Down wrote:I don't know about poodles but I know golden doodles or laberdoodles are suposed to be hypoallergenic and might be worth a look.

I could be wrong but would bet you are far more assured of getting a good dog from a purebred litter bred for working (yes, even a poodle) than you would from a labradoodle or golden doodle. I have yet to see a litter from a responsible, hunting, working line breeding in either.

Amen!! Plenty of pure bred alternatives exist without the need for "Designer Mongrels" at high $$$. :no:
T-Bone
hunter

Postby popeye_22175 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:42 pm

in my opinion its definatley worth it , i just got a labradoodle and hes only 12 weeks old and already retrives so you figure a breed from 2 retriveing breeds really cant be that bad plus the hole alergie thing is very true cuase i am an alergie suffer and i have had no problems , good luck
popeye_22175
hunter

Postby goose/stoli » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:56 pm

copterdoc wrote:I am extremely allergic to dogs. The whole idea that shedding causes allergic reaction is poppycock.

:lol: :rofl: :rofl: you been watching to much Boston Legal haven't you......... :lol3: :lol3:
kill counts are for snipers and fighter pilots, not sportsmen.
goose/stoli
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:19 am

goose/stoli wrote: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: you been watching to much Boston Legal haven't you......... :lol3: :lol3:

No, I have never seen it actually!

I just like to come up with obscure, old-fashioned words to make people think.
copterdoc
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum