First time training a dog..help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

First time training a dog..help

Postby KSMax14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

I recently acquired a 5-year-old German Shorthaired Pointer. He knows basic commands (sit, stay, here) and I recently taught him a release command ("bird"). He is shock collar trained. I'm not sure how much he was trained or hunted before but I think he has the drive and ability to retrieve waterfowl. I've never had a hunting dog before or been around training one so I'm pretty lost at where to start besides the basics-- he has a bumper and we work on staying until I give his command and retrieving, etc. I need advice on good books or training videos, anything i can get started on. He can get pretty hyper at times and is hyper whenever he sees me grabbing the bumper to take him out. So I need some advice on working with the hyperactivity too. Anything helps!
KSMax14
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: First time training a dog..help

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:51 am

There's a listing of Training Programs at the top. I'd start poking through those and read up on what they provide. Then maybe ask questions about a few of interest. Most are geared toward retriever training and won't start assuming a 5 year old dog, particularly a Pointer like a GSP.

Would help anyone here to better understand the last 5 years of the dogs life, training, hunting in order to give much advice that's meaningful. The simple answer toward whatever "program" you can follow would likely be "go back to the beginning" in terms of training the dog as if it were a pup. But...you may have 5 years of bad habits to correct too.

More info..."shock collar trained" doesn't tell much.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 am

Hyperactivity/hyperkinesis are actual medical disorders and are diagnosed and treated as such. In your case it is much more likely that you have a high-energy animal bred to have a job that requires great expenditure of that energy. The way to "handle" that is to provide an outlet for the energy via training and working at the job it was bred to do. Hope you have lots of spare time . . . . .

And as HNTFSH said, more info re: the dog's former life and training would be helpful.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:25 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:The way to "handle" that is to provide an outlet for the energy via training and working at the job it was bred to do. Hope you have lots of spare time . . . . .

Always the first question that comes to mind related to "shock collar training".
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:08 am

The Fowl Dawg dvd may be a good start for you. Go back to basics with your dog and start from the beginning. If he seems to know it already, consider it a tune up.

Also, he's a shorthair, he'll definitely get excited. ;) One of the best things you can do is keep his brain engaged. Do work that gets him thinking, they are very smart dogs.

This is our pair.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum