working dog photo's put them up

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: working dog photo's put them up

Postby OmegaRed » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 am

6 months. First 6 goose retrieves

I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby loner » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Hank taking a break from pheasant huntin to watch ducks!
loner
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 pm

About as close to a working picture as I'm gonna get until I can get him on some birds.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Out hunting pheasants today.

cn44
hunter

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Quick Sunday morning hunt.

The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am

Gunner's first pheasant hunt in South Dakota at 1 year old

BoomStick79
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am

Good picture. Sorry for my ignorance and sorry if this has been already gone over 1,000,000 times, but is Gunner a Wirehair, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon or Drahthaar?

These breeds really peke my interest. I would like to learn more about the differences in these breeds.

Thanks in advance...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:29 am

Gunnysway wrote:Good picture. Sorry for my ignorance and sorry if this has been already gone over 1,000,000 times, but is Gunner a Wirehair, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon or Drahthaar?

These breeds really peke my interest. I would like to learn more about the differences in these breeds.

Thanks in advance...

Gunner is a drahthaar
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:32 am

BoomStick79 wrote:Gunner's first pheasant hunt in South Dakota at 1 year old

Good lookin pup, keep the pics coming.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 am

Chased a few ducks this morning.

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1384878918793.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1384878876505.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1384878853056.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1384878838127.jpg
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am

Jarbo, Assa, and Omega. Same question.

Is there a better "all around model" between the 3?

I know... stupid question.

I've had/have labs, and will have another for sure... but reading these threads, and seeing that you can indeed waterfowl hunt with these breeds (my ignorance brought to light) has me wondering where I want to go from here.

Thanks fellas

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:34 am

Gunnysway wrote:Jarbo, Assa, and Omega. Same question.

I've had/have labs, and will have another for sure... but reading these threads, and seeing that you can indeed waterfowl hunt with these breeds (my ignorance brought to light) has me wondering where I want to go from here.

Thanks fellas

WPG, DD, GWP, PP. They will all do what you are looking for. If you are not partial to a certain breed, I would say forget what breed you were looking at and pick the best pup. Meet the breeders, see the parents, find a breeder who uses and breeds his dogs for the same things you are looking for.

Where are you located?
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks fellas

Obvious choice - Drahthaars are the best! HAHAHA

In all seriousness though, I have no experience with the other two. I did extensive amounts of research on all of them, and what really sold me on the DD was the testing requirement. Seemed to me like a higher probability for a quality dog. I would imagine that all of them are pretty equal in terms of what they "can" do. Now what they are trained to do is probably pretty different. If you do your homework and find a quality breeder, check references, and put time into learning this style of training - chances are you'll have a hell of a dog that will teach your friends that you can truly have a dog that does it all (or most!).

I have read things about DD's hunting more with their nose down, and WP'S more using air scent. I don't know if I necessarily believe this as fact of the breed - but more of a fact involving training. The world of DD is very cryptic and hard to wade through the BS. Add on top of that some of the owners who want to say that DD's are the best at everything and are the only choice for A,B,C,D,...Z tasks.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me. I spent the last year making the same choice.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 am

Jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks fellas

WPG, DD, GWP, PP. They will all do what you are looking for. If you are not partial to a certain breed, I would say forget what breed you were looking at and pick the best pup. Meet the breeders, see the parents, find a breeder who uses and breeds his dogs for the same things you are looking for.

Where are you located?

You beat me to it. +1 Jarbo

If anyone shows off how bad A these dogs are, it's you and Taz. Great ambassadors for the movement!
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 am

OmegaRed wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks fellas

Where are you located?

If anyone shows off how bad A these dogs are, it's you and Taz. Great ambassadors for the movement!

How's that vest? Does it seem tough, fit good, etc.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks fellas

Where are you located?

I'm in MN.

Thanks fellas. Looks like I have some homework to do, as to make the right decision. I know I should NOT make a decision on looks... but they are so cool looking, and from what I have seen on this site, and from you guys specifically, these breeds make great waterfowl dogs, and I don't need to mention their upland prowess. A new breed may enter into my "labs only" closed minded life.

Yup... Homework is needed...
OmegaRed wrote:

Thanks fellas

In all seriousness though, I have no experience with the other two. I did extensive amounts of research on all of them, and what really sold me on the DD was the testing requirement. Seemed to me like a higher probability for a quality dog. I would imagine that all of them are pretty equal in terms of what they "can" do. Now what they are trained to do is probably pretty different. If you do your homework and find a quality breeder, check references, and put time into learning this style of training - chances are you'll have a hell of a dog that will teach your friends that you can truly have a dog that does it all (or most!).

I have read things about DD's hunting more with their nose down, and WP'S more using air scent. I don't know if I necessarily believe this as fact of the breed - but more of a fact involving training. The world of DD is very cryptic and hard to wade through the BS. Add on top of that some of the owners who want to say that DD's are the best at everything and are the only choice for A,B,C,D,...Z tasks.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me. I spent the last year making the same choice.

I will be taking you up on this when the time is right. My oldest lab is turning 14 in January. This is his first "retired" year, and he HATES MY GUTS right now. I have another mix breed (3/4 lab 1/4 GSP) but his marking ability is non-existent. If he can see em, he will get them. Casting/handling...? :lol3: Don't think so.

This is all my fault, as I had a rock star for 13 years, and figured I would use the younger for upland.(He has a GREAT nose).

So I failed him... I got lazy and failed him.

All that to say, I will be looking for a new hunting partner sooner rather than later. I just want to open the "labs only" mindset I mentioned earlier, and see what I've been missing...

Thanks again guys.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Jarbo03 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks fellas

Where are you located?

How's that vest? Does it seem tough, fit good, etc.

Only one I've had so I cant compare it to anything. But I looks solid. Fitment is way big everywhere...but for $15 I didnt care as long as it works for this year
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Gunnysway wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:

Thanks fellas

Where are you located?

I'm in MN.

Thanks fellas. Looks like I have some homework to do, as to make the right decision. I know I should NOT make a decision on looks... but they are so cool looking, and from what I have seen on this site, and from you guys specifically, these breeds make great waterfowl dogs, and I don't need to mention their upland prowess. A new breed may enter into my "labs only" closed minded life.

Yup... Homework is needed...
OmegaRed wrote:

Thanks fellas

I will be taking you up on this when the time is right. My oldest lab is turning 14 in January. This is his first "retired" year, and he HATES MY GUTS right now. I have another mix breed (3/4 lab 1/4 GSP) but his marking ability is non-existent. If he can see em, he will get them. Casting/handling...? :lol3: Don't think so.

This is all my fault, as I had a rock star for 13 years, and figured I would use the younger for upland.(He has a GREAT nose).

So I failed him... I got lazy and failed him.

All that to say, I will be looking for a new hunting partner sooner rather than later. I just want to open the "labs only" mindset I mentioned earlier, and see what I've been missing...

Thanks again guys.

Find a local NAVHDA chapter, go and check out the dogs on a training or test day. Everybody I've met through NAVHDA has been very nice and helpful. My previous dogs were a lab and a britt, wanting to have only one dog, the Griff or any of the wirehair breeds was a perfect fit for me.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 am

Thanks Jarbo.

I'll be checking that out tonight so I can see whats around me...

Thanks again for the info fellas...

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 am

My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked up my local chapter. Pretty big club.

Thanks again.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 am

Gunnysway wrote:My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked up my local chapter. Pretty big club.

Thanks again.

HAHA it starts! Enjoy the ride!
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 am

Dammit... :mad:

:lol3:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:43 am

Haha! No turning back now, once you meet one you'll have to own one.:mrgreen:

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 am

I know... I'm screwed... This whole thing started when I showed my wife the picture Omega posted of his pup.

Omega.jpg
Omega.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 1164 times

She fell in love. I then showed her pics of Jarbo's and Assa's pups respectively, and it was over. She wants one. I wasn't too sure, so I did a quick google search, and proceeded to gut the Huhs'... :huh:

A lot of info out there, so I came to the guys I blame for starting this... :lol3:

Again, you guys have started me out by pointing me in the right direction...(sorry... pun intended).

Now, for some edumacation...

(why does the Beatles song "Long and winding road" keep playing in my head...) :grooving:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:40 am

Beards are in!

I gave Assateague a book while he was studying to get his pup. He would probably send it to you.

Jarbo03
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum