help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

help

Postby shanetheduckkilla » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:00 am

should i get a lab already trained
shanetheduckkilla
hunter

labs alredy trained

Postby shoot2kl » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:46 am

labs already trained are expensive but if if price is not a problem then go ahead [u]if it was me i would get my own [/u] you get the abillity to train it your self and kinda get to know yor dog a little better
shoot2kl
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:31 pm

Do you have a lot of time to spend with a puppy? Small puppies take a TON of time, but I think they are also a lot of fun. It all depends on if you have the money and time.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Keith S. » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:03 pm

It's amazing what 10-15 min. training time a couple times a day can do for a dog.
Keith S.
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:37 pm

Keith S. wrote:It's amazing what 10-15 min. training time a couple times a day can do for a dog.

AMEN!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's one of those things that is so simple, yet so hard for people to either believe or follow through with.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:26 pm

I don't think the training is hard to find time for, it is the being home with the puppy for the first few months. Crate training IMO makes it easier because you can leave the puppy alone for a few hours at a time, but I work about an hour from the house so it was hard to come home all the time to let them out. Puppies can be destructive and destroy things when you are not around, there are too many good dogs in shelters because people are not ready for a puppy when they get them. I don't mean to preach, but I got my Chessie from a shelter and he is a hell of a hunter. Someone just didn't have the time to take care of him as a puppy. Maybe I got lucky? I am sure glad to have him though.

:salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:12 pm

If you got allot of money and no time, get one and let somebody else do the training, you'll still have to do obediance trianing though, if you have no money and lots of time, do it all yourself, buy a couple of books, more than one!, and read them, and fallow through with the ideas in them, and make it a priority, or you will not be satisfied with the end result, you can also find trainer close by that will give you and the dog lessons, he can tell you what you should be working on and what not, maybe have the dog ff by him, unless you don't want to ff, but I think doing it yourself, if your motivated, is well worth the time and effort.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:14 pm

Phillip,

I agree, while you are training the dog I think it builds a bond where the dog wants to please you more and more. If someone else was spending all the time with the dog it seems this would be missing.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum