Here's a wierd one to ask!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Here's a wierd one to ask!!

Postby choclab » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:25 pm

I have a mini wiener dog.......well, my wife has a mini wiener dog. Anyways I was wondering what it would take to start him on hunting rabbits or other small game.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:57 pm

Your wifes consent. :mrgreen:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:00 pm

:laughing: :laughing:
texan68
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:12 pm

:withstupid: :laughing: It would be no different than for a real/full sized dog except that most of the downsized ones are high strung compared to their full sized cousins.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:12 pm

I also have a mini daschund. She is a natural. She will hold when I tell her and if I give her the go she will haul ass after jack rabbits. Her size makes her perfect for going in after em also, though I have not let her yet. You do know that the daschund and the mini are originally bred to hunt badgers right? Daschun means "badger dog". If you can get your wifes permission I would say get the daschund trained. I bet she would kick ass.

Oh, being a hound she would have a great nose also. Bet you could teach her to grab Doves for ya also.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:52 am

I have a buddy whose wife runs mini's in earth dog trials. He even set up a course for them in the yard. She does real well with them. Go to the AKC wbe site and look up earth dog events and go to one, I am sure the pople would be more than willing to help you and your wife.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:18 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Alrighty Then :laughing: :laughing: :withstupid: I'm with Greg and Texan68
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby choclab » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:31 pm

He retrieves already. I throw the bumper for my lab and he goes for it and brings it back. It's way funny. I hope he is a natural.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

natural

Postby Mr Frog » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:58 pm

only thing left to do is take him out and put him on a rabbit and see what happens :getdown:
If you're gonna shoot it.....eat it.
Mr Frog
hunter

Re: Here's a wierd one to ask!!

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 am

choclab wrote:I have a mini wiener dog.......well, my wife has a mini wiener dog. Anyways I was wondering what it would take to start him on hunting rabbits or other small game.

It's your lie, you tell it how you want to. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:17 pm

If it is still a puppy there is always a chance, an older dog it might be too late. I would get the dog a toy made of rabit fur if you are serious. You might even want to go buy a mouse and sick it after it, that would be a good trainer.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum