Someone has gotta help!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Someone has gotta help!!!

Postby duckhunter25 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:05 pm

My nephew has a 18 week old Black Lab. She is of course still in the puppy stages. She will bring back sticks but not ducks, she just chews them. I have tried to work with her but to no avail. I have a 4 year old Black lab myself but I dont recall having this problem. Can anyone help us out????
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:09 pm

i know this will probably shock some of y'all but force fetching is always a viable option. also, you can take a real duck and drive some nails through it in crossing directions. this will certainly keep the dog from biting down. if you have an e-collar, that is ideal. pop the dog when she tries to bite down on the bird. don't over do it though, she may not want to pick them up at all.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:13 pm

Force Fetching???
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:42 pm

Duckhunter, 18wks? The only thing you should be doing at this point is having fun with the pup and making sure it is house broken. As far as retrieving ducks who cares there is plenty of time for that. Hell my dog didn't give two craps about retrieving until 8 months.

Slow down and have some fun with the pup. Thow a couple of puppy bumpers a day and then stop. Work on Obiediance now Retrieving and other things later. Just keep the pup happy and energetic.

Buy a Book. Force Fetch is a critical part in training a good retriever, but not until at least 6 months old, until the adult teath have came in.

In the mean time READ and READ some more.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby ActionPoint » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:59 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Give the dog time to get over the curiosity stage when working with real birds. Repetition and reward is the key. If you start using painful stimulus on a pup that has not yet started to show a marked interest in hunting and retrieving you are going to have serious problems down the road. At this point of a puppies development work on obedience and make sure to keep any hunting related training fun. Give the little one some time and she will probably come around on her own.
ActionPoint
Banned

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:54 pm

Elaborate. What kind of duck dog do you want? If the scale was 1 to 10 and the dogs on ESPN are an average 7, where do you want your dog to be?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:20 am

At 18 weeks the dog is too young to force fetch. Force fetching should not be started until dog has lost puppy teeth and adult teeth are in. Start working the dog on obedience and if you want to do retrieves use bumpers.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:30 pm

I wouldn't put any pressure on that dog around birds. You start hitting a dog with an ecollar around birds, especially at 18 weeks you may just end up with a bird shy dog.

My shorthair wasn't crazy about ducks when I started retrieving work with them. She was never introduced to them until she was probably 1.5 years though. The thing that got her fired up was chasing around a live duck. Talk about fun for a dog and especially a puppy.

Tape the ducks wings so it can't fly and the wings won't beat the dog in the face. Get the puppy fired up about the duck in your hands. Run around and wave the bird in front of the dogs face a little. Just whatever you do to get the dog excited. Then give the duck a little toss. The duck will start running or swimming depending if you are on land or water and that dog with chase it and get fired up about the duck. If the dog drops it to chew, the duck will run or swim away. It won't be able to chew on it.

Really though right now, I would let the dog be a puppy. You don't need a finished retriever by 6 months or anything. Take your time and have fun with the puppy.

Oh yeah another thing. I wouldn't be throwing sticks for the dog. Do you want sticks to come back out of the marsh if a dog can't find a cripple right away?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess my pup was a little different. I spent 3 to 4 hours a day right from the start and she was picking up doubles since the age of 4 months. I know everyones dog is different but I guess he was hoping to have her working the ponds a little this year. Keep the tips comming though.
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:27 am

My dogs are 6 years old, run field trials and hunt test and have NEVER been trained for 3 or 4 hours a day. In training a dog you are to do it in short intervals and stop when the dog still wants more to keep its interst up.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 pm

Hooked on Labs wrote:My dogs are 6 years old, run field trials and hunt test and have NEVER been trained for 3 or 4 hours a day. In training a dog you are to do it in short intervals and stop when the dog still wants more to keep its interst up.
:thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Joel » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:13 pm

four words to work on sit,stay,here,heel and try to have fun
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:07 pm

I agree whole heartedly with Joel. The dog is way too young to sweat that at this point. Many a fine retriever did not want a thing to do with a bird at that age. Spend the next 3 to 7 months, however long it takes, and get the obedience down pat, 100%. Then, if the dog still has no desire, force fetch will get it done.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum