Sit while on the fetch

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Sit while on the fetch

Postby sully » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:08 pm

What is the best way to teach the dog to sit while she is going out to fetch. So that I can put her in another direction or on another bird. Any good ideas?
Aim Small, Miss Small
War Eagle!!!
sully
Newb

Postby phillipstd » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:19 pm

teach her whistle commands, you can use whatever you want, I use one short blast for sit, so whenever I say sit while I'm teaching sit, I also blow the whistle, dogs respond better to whistles anyway, makes everything allot easier.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby muskiemac » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:43 am

Sully, I too am assuming that you mean that you want to stop the dog in the middle of the proverbial baseball diamond, and giver her a cast to another bird. The hard part is to get the dog to understand that when you blow the sit whistle when she is on her way, that what you want her to do is to stop out there. One way to do this is to use a place board. Start with this at you side, and then move it out away. I even use mine when I am doing yardwork, and have the dog sit there for quite a long time. This also helps to ease the transition to sitting in the boat/blind when you are hunting.
The other thing that work well for use is to use a long rope, and run it through a long I- bolt that is stuck in the ground. The you can blow the whistle, and stop the dong on the long lead. It will not take long for the dog to figure out what you want. Once this happens, you can also stop the dog just when you are out for a walk. Once you get the diamond down pat, you will have a big transition when you go to water. Make sure that you also spend quite a lot of time working on the "Wagon Wheel." Lining and casting are both a critical part of the equation. One other thing we do it to stop the dog, and use a shotgun blank aimed at the other bird to get the dog to move out there.
muskiemac
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:33 pm

muskiemac's advice on the rope is spot on. I'm also of the opinion that you shouldn't move on to anything advanced, such as the REMOTE SIT, unless your dog is absolutely rock solid at OB in the yard. If your dog understands sit (whistle & voice) in the yard, then the transition to remote sit shouldn't be that tough. If the dog doesn't pick up right away with just the whistle or voice, then the rope trick will do nicely. If you choose to use an e-collar with the dog, they work nicely too, but NOT FOR TEACHING the remote sit, just enforcing it.

Just my opinion....
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Hawk » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:57 am

Everybody is saying the right things here. I believe the important part of this training is OB training. Once your sure that your dog will stop on command proceed to the next phase. Gun Dog is a very good book on this subject. But early foundation / buliding blocks in the dogs training session makes the transition easy. How far along are you w/ the dog?
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum