Parlor tricks?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Parlor tricks?

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:37 am

Any of you teach your dog 'parlor tricks' (i.e. play dead, roll over, ect)? We've taught our chessie to 'sit pretty' (sit up on her hind legs), roll over, shake hands (paws?), and fetch the newspaper from the driveway (a plus when it's raining or snowing). My personal belief is that they love to learn, esp. if treats are invloved, and it helps a bit when training for hunting. Anyone else?
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:59 am

I personally think that I am trying to fill my dogs head with so much other stuff with different concepts, blind retrieves ect that trying to put parlor tricks in there is going to less place for pertinent information.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:41 am

Taught ACE all the tricks when he was a pup, ever once in a while i will have him do something, and he still remembers.

He fetches the paper every morning as I make my coffee, and delivers to hand. The sunday paper is practice for them honkers.

Best trick he does is balance a cookie on his nose until i give him his release command, then he catches it and eats it. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby cmelik10 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:24 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:Best trick he does is balance a cookie on his nose until i give him his release command, then he catches it and eats it. :thumbsup:

We did this with my old english setter. He did that better than anything else. :toofunny: :toofunny:
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:29 pm

I think anything you teach them benefits them because they practice the discipline and are continually trying to please you. Some of it is a little like cross training anyway, like having the dog sit still with the cookie on its nose. That is discipline. I regularly throw a chip or something and then “whoa” our dog half way to it. She locks up like a statue and does the same thing when I whoa her on birds. And it absolutely amazes any guests at our house.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:45 pm

i never did them with my choc lab. i don't really know why because i agree with Rat Creek about it just being one more way to practice training and instill discipline in the dog.

cmelik, i don't think their brain's have a capacity where you're going to run out of room. maybe i misunderstood but that is what it sounded like you were saying. i had a friend who would stock can drinks on the low shelf of his refrigerator and tell his black lab to "get a drink". the dog would pull on a rope tied around the handle of the fridge and grab a cold drink and bring it to him. it was very cool. i think the only limiting factor to what you can teach a dog is the owner's imagination.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:16 pm

no I wasn't about running out of room but I have a hard enough time getting my dog to understand the concepts that I need her to understand. I don't really need to be putting in my opinion usless stuff into her head. Its just my opinion I am not saying anything about those of you who do teach parlor trick I jsut dont think they are worth it.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:55 pm

cmelik10 wrote:no I wasn't about running out of room but I have a hard enough time getting my dog to understand the concepts that I need her to understand. I don't really need to be putting in my opinion usless stuff into her head. Its just my opinion I am not saying anything about those of you who do teach parlor trick I jsut dont think they are worth it.

I don't think you got what shrp was sayin. IF you are having "trouble" teaching your dog what you want, Then anything you teach it with success is a good thing.

I started out with tricks, because he was to young to be doing a lot of retrieving and other things during the day.

When teaching tricks at a young age or any age, you are teaching the dog how to learn. And, you are learning how your dog learns. When teaching tricks i watched how ACE reacted to my teaching, if he wasn't getting it, I tried a different way. This was a huge benifit when moving on to more advanced retriever training.

We as trainers have to know how our individual dogs think, they are all not the same.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:09 pm

i agree with ACE

i taught my dog how to rollover, wave good-bye, speak, shake, and turn around in circles on command.

i dont make her do these everyday but when she was young it did help me to know how she learns which helped later on alot! also good when companys over.

i think its just a good way to practice discipline, and its fun for the pups! :thumbsup:
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:59 pm

shrpshtr wrote: i had a friend who would stock can drinks on the low shelf of his refrigerator and tell his black lab to "get a drink". the dog would pull on a rope tied around the handle of the fridge and grab a cold drink and bring it to him. it was very cool. i think the only limiting factor to what you can teach a dog is the owner's imagination.

Now that is an awesome trick and a dog who wants to please. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:05 am

Years ago, I had a dog that when I was in the living room I could tell her to fetch my slippers (which were in the bedroom) or I could get her to fetch my shoes. She knew the difference between the two and would never make the mistake of bring the wrong ones I sent her for.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby kansaswingnut » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:09 pm

I have taught my lab several tricks. I think the best one is getting me a beer out of the cooler. It took all of 15 minutes to teach her. You should have seen the look on my buddies face when we were camping and I told her to get me a beer. She walked over to the cooler, flipped open the lid and grabbed a Bud Light and brought it to me. I thought he was going to sh*t himself.
New birds make us all better hunters...eh.
kansaswingnut
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum