Shedding tools

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Shedding tools

Postby wackemstackem » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Its that time of the year.Their has got to be something better than the standard brush.What kind of brush does everyone use.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Re: Shedding tools

Postby Goosehunterdog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:03 pm

The Furminator is the best!! We have the small size on clearance if interested...
Happy Training!!!!
Goosehunterdog
DHC Sponsor

Postby lucky13 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:02 pm

the furminator de shedding solution is AWESOME
i brush ,then shampoo , then de shedding.
its unreal how much fur comes off. my hand looked like the wolfmans
lucky13
hunter

Postby Goosehunterdog » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Like stated I have the small left on clearance if you want larger ones you can get them through Amazon.com for really cheap!!
Happy Training!!!!
Goosehunterdog
DHC Sponsor

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:10 pm

I'm another Furminator believer, though my Brittany that's good about other grooming tools hates it. Some worry about it taking too much undercoat, but I don't find that it cuts, just pulls dead stuff. We've found the medium as big as we'd probably want, even for the Chessie.

Last however-many months, however, I've been keeping a Kong "Zoom Groom" in the truck and haven't broke the Furminator out at all. The rubber fingered Zoom Groom throws so much hair that I'd not use it indoors (where the Furminator, which hold hair on its blade, may be at its best) but it's great for hitting a few licks in the field before training or exercise runs. Brittany likes it, too.

(Also tried Wally-World's kinda-sorta similarly rubber-fingered brush, and it's not nearly as good. Perhaps a different rubber compound?)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby hopkins11 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 am

x4 on furminator. Might have saved my marriage!
:lol3:
hopkins11
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:50 am

The Furminator is the best :yes:......and did save my marriage
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby nic6 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:50 am

I gotta say add one more for the Furminator I think I found mine on ebay for like half what the pet store wanted. I also like the Zoom Groom like Rick said, I think those two are a good combo. I like to use that zoom groom after/when the dog's swimming.
nic6
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I just got the furminator,It rocks,thanks fellas.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:21 pm

ebay the large one...usually you can find a good deal. My buddy bought a small and med but He said he wishes he got the large. I got the large, it works great, even on smaller dogs....
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby jehler » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I sixteenth the furminator, you'll wonder how the dog has any fur left. I'm taking my pooch in to get shaved next week :hi: then he only sheds little tiny hairs :lol3:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby choc24/7 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Goosehunterdog wrote:The Furminator is the best!! We have the small size on clearance if interested...

:thumbsup: without a doubt
nothin like watchin' prior skybustin'

i usually have good seats for the show
choc24/7
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:16 pm

I have been reading up on these and other sites say the furminater actually cuts some hair from the undercoat out, and orang good for two layer coat such as a lab. No one has seen any issues with using it on their pups during hunting season? Or do you not use it that time of year?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:40 am

I don't use anything metal because it tends to break the coat. Love the Zoom Groom and so do the dogs, it gives them a massage as you groom. I also have a grooming attachment for my vacuum cleaner, on the rare occasions when I actually use it to vacuum the house, Cirrus comes over and stands next to it as soon as I get it out and then follows me around until I groom him; guess he likes that tool too.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:08 am

Yeah I read good things about the zoom groom. I may hafta try it. Is there a time of year you don't use it for any reason? Will it damage the undercoat and make them more susceptible to the cold during hunting season? Seems like it pulls a lot of the undercoat out.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:Yeah I read good things about the zoom groom. I may hafta try it. Is there a time of year you don't use it for any reason? Will it damage the undercoat and make them more susceptible to the cold during hunting season? Seems like it pulls a lot of the undercoat out.

The only time I do any serious "brushing" is when they are shedding and the undercoat is dead, and it is supposed to be pulling it out. If your dog is shedding during hunting season, not much you can do about it, the hair will fall out anyway. Dogs that are kept indoors all the time tend to shed year-round, intact bitches shed according to their heat cycles, some dogs blow coat after anesthesia. Mine always seemed to blow coat as soon as I sent show entries in. :rolleyes: People do more damage bathing their dogs too often or with the wrong product than they do brushing them.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby RUN REMI RUN » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm

ya I feed remi the 6 fish from origin in rotation, from the chicken and beef from origin and used the furminator in the spring 2 times in 1 week and seemed to do well, she hardly sheds at all!!! i'm sheding more in my 30's!!!

my brothers shiba inu @ 7months old and 25 lbs,
we filled a 40 litre garbage pail of hair this spring in less than a week of using the furminator, now he look thin and shinny,
till winter again, and the hair should b back!

they are a crazy breed!!!! bcarefull if u ever get 1 :fingerhead:
RUN REMI RUN
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:11 pm

just finished shearing our cocker :huh:
he now looks like a big eared GSP in miniature,needs this about 4 times a year of he gets too hot and spends the day panting. takes about 1/2 hour to do and clipping his feet and edges of ears another 1/2 hour or more. we use a wahl set of clippers.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum