Kids and your hunting dogs.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Kids and your hunting dogs.

Postby openwaterhunter » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I looked out the window a while ago to see my daughter trying to mimic what I was doing while training my dog. I could see her mouth the words "sit "and "stay" and then she would throw the bumper and Dixie wouldn't move. I seen her mouth "mark" and then couldn't figure out what she was saying to Dixie because she wouldn't budge. I eased the window open to listen and she was saying. "Okay Dixie on your MARK set GO!!!". I had to laugh and then said "IT'S FETCH EMILY" and Dixie took off like lighting. My daughter is only 4 and she loves her dog. I watched them a little while longer and then went out and took over voice commands but let my daughter continue throwing the bumper. I didn't want Dixie to become confused with commands and set her back on her training (she is doing WONDERFUL in my book). What do you guys think. Would it hurt anything for my wife and younging to work my pup in training.

PS... Dixie will not budge on the bumper for either one of them if I am out there. She waits on MY "fetch" command but if my wife is alone outside she will obey her fetch command.

PSS.... I am thinking of using Germen for voice commands on my next dog. Do any of you all do that?
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:22 pm

My kid's do the same thing, they will throw the ball for him, and tell him to sit about 10 time's real fast. He just look's at them like they are nut's. It's hilarious to watch. He just stay's there and take's it, because he know's there is a butt load of biscuit's coming from there little hand's. When my dog was a pup I tied to keep the kid's inside when we were doing training, because there is alot of running around, and playing, and I was afraid of the distraction's bothering him, but now he does'nt mind
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:04 pm

I think it is great man. I don't see why a dog has to listen to just ONE person. I like my dog ACE to follow commands from anyone. He is taught a command, and when it is given, he better listen. Obviously he is more enthusiastic when I give them.

One of my reasoning is that I have him on my job sites almost everyday. If someone wants him to sit, he better listen. Or COME. Most of the time it is for his safety or his own good.

I think it is great that your daughter has paid so much attention to you that she has picked up on some of the lingo. That means she is very interested in what you are doing along with the dog. This is a great time to get her involved, make sure she gets your commands down, and try to teach her what they mean and why you are doing what you are doing.

You never know, you might have yourself one hell of a dog trainer some day. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Joel » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:09 pm

I have a set of rules for the kids i dont let them do any training unless im with them so the pup dosnt get confused and a kid not knowing will play tugawar with pup or let him fail in a retreaive . But thats just me.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:24 am

I used to be anal about this. I hated when people come over to the house and mess with my dogs. The one thing that I hated most was the repeated commands, come sadie come come. I would sit there and think, damn she's doing it just let her get to you. Another thing I learned though is that my dogs know me, and they also know that they better listen to me. If you ever train with mulitple people, your dog will learn to only cue off of your voice not just the command. I'd let your daughter have her fun, because your dog knows you're the boss. I would suggest going out after she is done and reinforce a few commands and throw a few bumpers yourself with the dog.

There is a little five year old girl at the club training days I go to and she is the exact same way. She walks this 60 pound wirehair around and will give the leash a jerk if the dog isn't healing. It is great to watch. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:09 pm

Don't sweat it. The dog knows the difference. My daughter and my dog do all sorts of crazy things, including dress up. But when I have her out, she is all business. As to the german. The words, nor the language matters. You can use any words you want.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:23 pm

I dont think that what your describing will be detrimental to your pups training. If it is anything like my house I would qualify it as infrequent at best. When I was starting out I wouldn't allow it for the same fear, now I find it too cute to worry about the specifics. Have fun and enjoy the show.

A friend of mine speaks to his German Shepherd exclusively in German. Dogs don't understand words, they understand inflection and tone, so go for it.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:15 pm

IBBoykin wrote:Don't sweat it. The dog knows the difference. My daughter and my dog do all sorts of crazy things, including dress up. But when I have her out, she is all business. As to the german. The words, nor the language matters. You can use any words you want.

:withstupid:
I don't worry much about it. The dogs seem to have it figured out and my kids and dogs have a lot of fun. And isn't it amazing how they throw all the silliness away when you pull on boots and pull out the gun. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:47 pm

my 7 y/o daughter does this kinda stuff with my lab. he loves it too. after 10 years, he knows play time from serious time. my 2 y/o is getting in on the act more too. she weighs all of 28lbs telling my 120lb lab to sit is too funny. even better, he listens to her!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:59 pm

My little 1 1/2 yo nephew always says sit to my dog, then when he sits he goes nuts.. He loves it. Then he crawls around chasing the dog and acts like he is a dog. It's amazing how dogs know when to be gentle and when to be hard workers... Amazingly, my chesse is more gental than my lab with little kids, but he is older and knows better..
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:10 pm

I had my dog trained. The trainer insisted that the family members came with me as much as possible. I went every Saturday and one of the kids and the wife would switch off. They all learned the basic commands. See if you can't get a recording of your daughter with a digital camera - that would be a keep sake for ever.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum