I feel lost

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

I feel lost

Postby Joel » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Most of you guys have helped me with training Cooder HE IS A 6 mo. LAB I know most of us think our Pup is one of the best and in my eyes we all do have the best pups we trained them . My pup is marking singals dubbles and triples out to allmost 100 yards and know we ran our first blind with no mistakes the other day.We train 2 times a day 7 days a week. But two days ago when i got home from work Cooder was limping and holding his left paw up off the ground I rushed my dear hunting buddy to the vet and told him [ this morring befor i went to work he was not limping but when i got home he was] Vet stated Cooder has no pain that he could tell and is going to X-ray his front left shoulder monday at 8am. Vet stated that Labs have Hip problems . But it is not his hip its his shoulder . Do any of you guys know if labs have shoulder problems too ? I myself have not hard of shoulder problems in labs. :help:
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:09 pm

Joel, anything is possible. I don't know about sholder, but they can have elbow problems. That is why you are seeing more elbows OFA'd along with the hips.

ACE has limped every so often for one reason or another. HE might have stepped in a hole that night while training and the next day it got stiff on him. When I notice he is limping i just take it easy with him and watch him closely. IF I think i need to, I don't hessitate to go to the vets.

These guys are athletes and somtimes they take a beating. When they are all amped up in training, they just "play through the pain" Then when things slow down later they feel it.

keep a close eye on him and give him a rest. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby gsphunter » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:27 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:Joel, anything is possible. I don't know about sholder, but they can have elbow problems. That is why you are seeing more elbows OFA'd along with the hips.

ACE has limped every so often for one reason or another. HE might have stepped in a hole that night while training and the next day it got stiff on him. When I notice he is limping i just take it easy with him and watch him closely. IF I think i need to, I don't hessitate to go to the vets.

These guys are athletes and somtimes they take a beating. When they are all amped up in training, they just "play through the pain" Then when things slow down later they feel it.

keep a close eye on him and give him a rest. :thumbsup:
:withstupid: Could have sprained something, could have run into something, who knows? Give him a little break and wait for the xray results.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:48 pm

Don't worry, it's probably just growing pains, he's only 6 months, they will have them till there almost 18 months.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Joel » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:01 pm

I hope you guys are right I will let you guys know what the X-rays read tommorow
Joel
hunter

Postby Joel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:19 pm

vet stated Cooder is growing to fast and his growth plates cant keep up so you get swelling around the humaris thay put him an some intinflaitorys and a med for joints vet wants me to lay off training for three weeks and we will see how it gos from there. vet does want me to take him swiming as much as i can , but no running or jumping in or out of water he must be placed in or walked into. we might be out for the novmber duck hunt but if we dont rush we will have our December. COODER is 79bl solid mussle and he is 6mo old a big puppy.
Joel
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:15 am

Good to hear Joel, and like you said, don't rush it. You may miss this November, but they'll be plenty of Novembers to come if he stays healthy.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby canadagoose » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:49 am

DId the vet say anything about how much you should feed him? When my lab was a puppy, the vet told me to not over feed her, because that leads to the bones, tendons, and muscles racing each other and causes to problems.

The frustrating thing was that the vet couldn't tell me an amount that was too much food, just that my dog should generally be a bit hungry and her ribs should be palpable.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:02 pm

joel, as i was reading this i was thinking along the same line as your vet. here's why...young athletes shouldn't lift weights, etc. at too earlier an age. it causes problems with development of bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. i think it is around 14-15 they recommend strength training beginning. dogs are the same way, twice a day 7 days a week probably has a lot of muscle on that dog that really isn't needed. that is also probably why he wanted you to lay off the training for 3 weeks. anyway, don't over work the pup and hopefully he'll be ok!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:15 pm

Vet stated it is a common in all larg breed dogs but i have never seen it befor but i have never had a pup that leared so fast eather vet stated all labs should be put on a joint suplamint . I figer that while we are not doing field work we can go back and tuch base with stay,and heel ,hold you now back to the bacis nothing that involes runing anything that might put stress on that leg
Joel
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:49 pm

Joel, as long as you are feeding a high quality food and match the food to the needs of your dog, you don't need supplements.

I feed Eukenuba Premium Performance for Large Active dogs. That has everything ACE needs in it.

Also, by using a high quality puppy formula of the same food, it helps regulate thier growth a little bit, so that they don't build up too much musle and other unwanted things while they are still growing.

take a break for a while and hopefully it gets better.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:52 pm

talked with the sires ouner today and he is a big 125bl male but denise any of the same problems when his lab was a pup Cooder stoped limping today just making sure my hunting buddy get lots of rest
Joel
hunter

Postby Joel » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 pm

well we are on week two of no training me and Cooder are restless he is braging me anything you can thank of i think in hopes i will throw it for him . but in the off time it gives me time to reflict and plain our next goal in training . i found this is a good time to practice with the duck calls and drive the wife crazy.
Joel
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 pm

Joel, When I was a kid, I grew too fast and had similar problems in my knees. I was out of PE classes for a few weeks, but that was all I needed. If I were you, I would baby him....not too much, but think of what you would like if you had that pain. Maybe a heating pad, a massage, or a just relax and pet him for long periods of time. I know it sounds corny to say that, but it's not so much the actions that will help your pup, but the intentions. So long as you can't train him, just do these things to build your relationship with him. These are all strategies used to help "heal" horses, so I don't see why it won't work with your dog. When my 6 mo BLM Kenai (Keke) was 3 mo he had a bacterial build up in his belly (he had been eating fence posts), I just rubbed his belly and pet him, massaged his legs, and even got him to sprawl on a heating pad. I thought this would just help calm him and build our relationship, but it actually got his belly motor going and he got rid of the infection in about half the time the vet expected. In short, treat him like a sick child, or how you would want to be taken care of. I don't think it could hurt much.
good luck, Joel, and get well soon, Cooder.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby Joel » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:01 pm

took the pup to the pond today vet stated it would be a good to take him for a swim i walked him out just deep anuff he would have to swim and sent him out for a modified blind i set up he did perfact man did he miss playing our games :salude:
Joel
hunter

Postby Hot-Rod » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:18 am

Glad to hear that things are going to be Ok.

What or Who are you using to help you with the training or have you trained dogs in the past ? ? ? Just wondering ? ? ? After reading you post and talking to the trainer (cooter @ Creamlevel Creek Kennels) that I bought my dog from about 6-7 months ago, you are way out infront of anything I have ever read or been told. Just wondering if I should be farther long than I am.

It is pretty common of any opinion, that a dog that is doing Triple & Blind which is Master Hunter Work before he is 24 month (2 Years) is a pretty fantastic dog. So I would think that having one that is doing Triples & Blinds at 6 months, at any yardage would be like SUPERDOG.

I have been told to not even start the Training until they are 6-8 month according to the maturity of the dog. Cooter has been a great help, and has been very "Point Making" about that. I have my pup retrieving, and he understands ALL of the Obedience commands. But we have not put any Pressure on him at all. He just knows what each command is and will perform them. I have just started Working with Pinch Collar and Leash, so The Formal Training is just beginning. I was told to the point of: Do Not Do This ! ! ! on having the dog running longer marks, jumping in and out of truck, porches, or anything that required jumping or longer runs. For the same reason that you have stated the vet said. The bones are growing to fast and they are not hard as they need to be to do this type of work. Which is the main reason for waiting till they are 6-8 months, plus age maturity figuring in. So we have just been bonding and doing 20-30 yard retrieve (3-5 in the morning & afternoon), swimming and playing and being a puppy. Although he wond sure like to do more work. We have been doing a few more reps on retrieving, in the last month, but not more than 7-9 retrieves. Haven't wanted cooter giving me the: :hammering: treatment. :mrgreen:

Not Knocking anything, but just wondering if I really should have been waiting until the pup was 6 months. But the information that I read, and the help I am getting from cooter is all about the same style. Plus after seeing and hunting with cooter and his dogs a couple times :salude: if mine turns out to just be close, I will be thrilled.

I know that Labs have problems with Hips, Eyes & Elbows, and it just stands to reason that working a pup, when the bones are still soft, forming and growing everyday would cause problems. I would like to have him ready to do some real work this season. I hope to be finshed with the Pinch Collar and Leash by the end of the month (Hopefully) and moving on to the Forcing Table, which I'm thinking about having cooter do this for me, talking about a nice table. :eek: Plus they say that a good Force Fetching Session will set the tone for the rest of the training. So I thought that I might have someone do it, who has a little experience, plus pinching my buddies ear doesn't sound like something that I look forward too. :help:

Just kinda wondering what got you to working you dog so early or compared to what I am being told. Is there information on a Early Start Program or is a trainer helping you that believes in starting the puppies this early ? ? ? Just looking for more information to help me with training my pup.
Hot-Rod
hunter

Postby Joel » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:24 pm

well Cooder is the third dog i have trained he is a Lab and was from stock that was bread to be a drug dog his grand parents were hunting dogs but mom and dad were drug dogs he was verey shy pup allways by himself in the corner of the yard pin and no one wanted him since no one wanted him he was given to me as a gift . I stoped duck hunting about 7 years ago when my last pup past away, well in till this year i brung Cooder home pulled out all the old decoys and dusted them off. I fell in Love with duck hunting all over again throw the eyes of my new pup. If you read 100 Books on dog training every book would tell you somthing diffrent and so would every trainer what you have to do is read and make your on blue print that can be modifed at any time. Yes i have pushed my pup some dogs can take the presure but some can not and will stop working for you all together im not going to tell you to push your pup you cant compare your pup to another pup. I have no kids nor can i have any my pup is my kid he stays in the house and has a doggie door sleeps in the bed with me and me loveing wife . You can PM me and we can trade ideas the books i like the best is 10 min retriever and water dog by Richard wolters and he started his pups right after they knew there name
Joel
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum