How do you care for a cut on the pad of a paw?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

How do you care for a cut on the pad of a paw?

Postby tstrong » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:12 pm

Sorry but I also put this under the hunting dog forum but, my dog cut through the pad on one of his paws. It's about 3/8" long and wondering if he needs to have it stiched or mabey cauderized?
tstrong
hunter

Postby Wilsona018 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:21 pm

my dog cut her foot on an oyster shell at the begining of this last summer...i was worried about it cause it was pretty long, about the length of her paw...but we called the vet and they said theres not too much they can do and the best thing is to keep her off it and clean it out...so we poured hydrogenporoxide (however you spell it) on it once a day and just kept her off it....it got better pretty quick

but id still call your vet to see what they think

hope everything goes alright!
let us know
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Nothing to do. I have had this happen, and just rescently had two friends dog get cuts on their paws.

EMT Gel is what they applied to it. It kept it closed up. After training, they would wash the cut out and then apply the gel.

It takes a long time for it to fully heel so that you don't see the slit.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:39 pm

:withstupid: yeah nothing really needs to be done it will heal by it self i would put some neosporin(i can't spell) on it and it iwll be fine it happends alot more than what people think
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the info - I have the steri strips on it with gause and cloth tape. He's fine with it. Will the pad heal like skin? It was just the outer covering of the pad the was cut.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 pm

EMT Gell is great stuff , I keep it in the first aid kit in the boat. Something else that worked great is liquid bandage I have used that on the dogs paw when he gets a cut and it dosen't want to stop bleeding. Works great, but the dog doesn't like it too much, got a little sting to it.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:50 am

If it is not a major laceration, clean it out well, put in a dab of emt gel then hold the cut closed apply super glue.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm not a vet but I have heard you can clean it and put super glue on it to hold the cut together.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby cjlarose » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Super glue works great. The key to it is to keep all the edges together if they top part comes together but underneath doesn't you will end up with a fissure under the healed part ( void area ). it will keep reopening. Also if you get super glue in the wound it will keep it from healing. We use the same stuff in the ED but only for wounds that wont have pressure on them ( face, arms, legs ) The best thing that works is a stapler ( suture type ). It will hold everything together and so forth. Remember that sutures are used for a couple of reasons --decrease the healing time -- decrease the chance of infection sometimes -- looks better no scar.

here is what I would do. clean the area out intially ( once ) with good ole peroxide. Then clean vigoursly with soap and water then rinse. Don't try and close the wound just put some gauze pads ( 2 x 2 ) then wrap with coban ( self adhering bandage ) don't cut of circulation. Then cover the foot with a sock, tape that so it stays on. Clean it twice a day with soap and water only ( peroxide will keep it from healing--it removes tissue that is growing ). The wound will eventually start healing from lower to the top ( regranulating ) Watch for infection :cool: If you have any problems see your vet.

Emt Gel is a colagen base product we use something similar on people. It will actually bond to the wound and keep infection down. You still have to keep clean it first, then apply the gel to the cut ( into the cut ) then cover. Keep him off of it as much as possible for the day. You should be able to hunt with him by this weekend.

As far as cauterize-- I wouldn't. that will stop the bleeding but impedes the healing process.

Or take to a vet. :thumbsup:
Bring em in!!!
cjlarose
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:53 pm

super glue... theres a new one for me... i guess you learn something every day... and to answer teh question (as if all these other guys havent) just clean it up with some hydrogen peroxide then wrap it so it keeps foreign objects out.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Lvn2Hnt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:03 pm

super glue!! The only difference between the "super glue" they use in hospital is it's more expensive and there's an additive to make it sting less.

We've used it a bunch on our horses for minor cuts. It works awesome, just make sure the wound is extremely clean and you can keep your pup still and not allow him to lick it until it is completely dry.
Lvn2Hnt
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:29 pm

Kind of off the topic, but if you get small cuts on hands or else where supper glue is awsome. It doesn't sting and it stops bleeding and it helps it heal faster. If you have a first aid kit i would recommend putting a bottle of it in there. You never know when your going to cut your finger or hand and don't have any band-aids with, or if its on a knuckle or something band-aides sometimes don't work. Just my .02
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 pm

Took Stogie to the vet and his paw is fine. Just going to tke a couple of weeks to heal up. Since it was on his paw he gave me some antibiotics. Told me wrap a sock around it (HA can you say play time) and keep it packed with Neosporin. Thanks for all the info everybody.
tstrong
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:14 pm

i can confirm the super glue trick works. i used it all of the time playing high school, american legion, and college baseball. i also have had the ED stuff used on my face after being hit with a softball of a double-wall bat while i was trying to turn a double play. right in the eye, they had to glue the skin together around my eye. talk about a shiner, but i still turned the double play. :thumbsup: i agree, you should keep a tube of that stuff in your 1st aid kit.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum