Retrieving problem

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Retrieving problem

Postby yellowdog51 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:16 pm

This is my 3rd lab. He is the best I have had in every way with the exception of bringing back birds, he marks and retrives them great, but when he brings them back he always drops them 15 feet in front of me.. I have a hard time getting him to go back and bring them the rest of the way. In the backyard he is fine with bumpers or birds. Any suggestions?
yellowdog51
Newb

Postby Duck Whittler » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:38 pm

Force Fetch.
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:41 pm

Duck Whittler wrote:Force Fetch.

:withstupid:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=8432
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby cmelik10 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:00 pm

:withstupid: depending on this dogs age FF is the only option right now. If you decide that this is something that you are going to do yourself do yourself a favor and get an established program like SmartFetch or Dahls 10 min Retriever.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:14 am

Being what time of the year it is, I wouldn't recomend FF. This is a process that, if done correctly, can take weeks or even a couple months and even after that you should work actual retrieves back in gradually. Then you would have to introduce birds as a retrieving object that is just another thing he must carry. With hunting season right around the corner, I would wait on it. I know I'm busy getting my boat together and other stuff. I try to wait until January and February to go through FF. It's cold outside and I can work on FF inside. Then when I'm getting to the final stages, I can go outside when it's starting to warm up.

How old is the dog? That should really be your determining factor for whether or not to FF right now.

Another method to try is to ignore your dog when he drops the bird. Throw the bird out there and praise like crazy when he has it in his mouth. As soon as he drops it, no more praise and you turn around and walk away. Another thing is to get the dog super fired up about the bird before you throw it. Don't worry about heeling and steadiness right now, just let the dog have fun with that bird.

Good Luck and Keep it fun. :thumbsup:
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:56 am

gsp has brought up a great point. FF is not something that can be done a couple of times a week it has to be done everyday till its finished. Make sure once you decide to do this that you have minimum of a month that you can put into it cause it does take awhile to get it done correctly. Alot of times when FF a dog you must cut out all retrieves so you are not ending up in a huge arguing match with the dog about holding the bumper(bird) or chomping on it, rolling it ect. Then once you are to the walking fetch stage of FF then you could probably start back with the retrieves, but it takes awhile to get to, and through, walking fetch.

If you do not think that force fetch is something you want to try, thats okay there are alot of dogs out there that aren't FF that are very good dogs. It will however take more time and more patience on your part when the dog drops the bird, or gives you a no go ect. GSP has great advice on how to deal with the dog dropping the bird on you, that is exactly what I did when my pup was young and would drop bumpers. By doing that I got her to retrieve to hand without FF, I did however go through the process for other reasons.

Good Luck with you pup
Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby yellowdog51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:07 pm

I just wanted to thank you all for your response to my question, I took Major out Monday and still had a few problems but he worked better, then I took him out on Wed. with my daughter and her boyfriend to his duck hunting club, we had things pretty much to ourselves and Major acted like a different dog, he marked and retrived every duck and even got his first goose,brought them back to the boat and let me take them from him, I don't know what made the difference but he worked great I think in time he will be ok, will post some pictures when I get them. :thumbsup:
yellowdog51
Newb

Postby 5150Fred » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:45 am

Yellowdog, glad to hear he is working better. My dog had the same problem. An OLD dog trainer told me not to feed him for a couple of days and use a treat once he gets in the blind. I know that may seem mean but it worked like a charm for me. Try not to reach out with your arm that gives them a sense they can drop when you reach.
There's nothing like seeing'em cupped and committed
5150Fred
hunter

Postby Cappy_TX » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:44 pm

cmelik10 wrote::withstupid: depending on this dogs age FF is the only option right now. If you decide that this is something that you are going to do yourself do yourself a favor and get an established program like SmartFetch or Dahls 10 min Retriever.

Wonder what the British would do in a case like this since they do NOT believe in E-collars or FFing.

Think about it from the dawg's perspective for a moment. Why not complete the retrieve? Fear? Maybe stern corrections too often already? If not, there's an apparent confusion with WHICH command he's supposed to be following.

Since he marks well, faithfully picks up the bumpers etc, returns part way to you and then drops. You need to re-visit the HOLD command. Once "hold" is mastered, he will follow you all the way back home with the bumper in mouth if asked to. :thumbsup:

My suggestion in the meantime? Try turning your back on Major when he gets to the area where he has typically been dropping. See if he will come all the way to you if you aren't facing him. If he does ... praise, praise, praise. Lighten up on any corrections you've been doing in finishing a retrieve.

Another method is to drop to one knee and encourage him to come all the way to you using lots of praise and attaboys. One more ... if the first two don't work well, try running (YES, RUNNING) away from him while encouraging him to finish the retrieve to hand.

Here's my then 4 month old Remi returning to "heel" with a dokken. Notice that I'm kneeling to help keep the intimidation level she might sense low? That's how she came to me, my kneeling on one knee and my praising her all the way back. Try it. Image
Cappy and Remi aren't my whole life, they just made my life whole.
Cappy_TX
hunter

Postby yellowdog51 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 pm

Hey Cappy, maybe it's cuz we have a few things in common, like a dog named Remi, (GRO's Choc. Remington Premier) but that was then and this is now.. YELLOW... and I love to hunt whenever I don't have to punch a time clock. I wasn't crazy about the idea of f fetching and the e- collar stuff. I haven't had to resort to either in the past, maybe I'm too old to learn new tricks. Major is doing great and getting better every hunt. Maybe he was just upset because I didn't share enough of my wife's Cabela's fudge
:toofunny: by the way that hunting set up that you have makes me a little (whole lot) jealous. Good luck, shoot straight and leave a few ducks for their trip back thru UT.

Yellowdog
yellowdog51
Newb

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:40 pm

Hey cappy, great pic and a great point. We have to walk a thin line between being our dogs masters and making them feel comfortable in learning.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby MattM1 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:37 pm

Thank you Cappy! All too often we (Americans) insist on Force Fetch, but that's not always the answer. It's good to see another perspective in this forum. Now I'm no pro-trainer but what I have done is studied both methods and used a little of both worlds. The Brits have great dogs, alot of which has to do with strick breeding standards, but they do not use force fetch or e-collers. Just something for everyone to consider. Yellowdog keep at it and good luck. :thumbsup:

Matt
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum