ever happen to you?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

ever happen to you?

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 pm

Today afterwork I took the dog out to walk the river and jump any unfortunate ducks that might be around. We were doing well with 2 in the bag so I set up a few dekes to see if we could get something to come in with ~ 1/2 hr of shooting time left. Nothing happened so I picked up the pair of decoys and started walking the river bank back to the truck. Lily, the dog, was running through the bushes along the bank and all over the place. I didn't think anything of it and actually thought it would be good for her to blow off some steam so I gave her free reign to run. Bear in mind this is her second hunting season, she's just 18 months old. I think she has the hunting game pretty well down. While I was walking along the bank Lily came charging out of the bushes to me. To my amazement she was carrying a live hen mallard, a bird I never saw and never took a shot at. She got to me and dropped it (this was breaking her force fetch training which I corrected later after the situation was in hand). The thing went scurrying away but couldn't fly. Lily quickly caught it again and brought it back, holding it as I repeated "hold" until I took it with "give" and dispatched it.

This has never happened to me before and I was pretty impressed with the dog. I am assuming that someone wounded the duck but couldn't find it. I also decided since it was still alive and moving fairly well it was fine to be table fair so I threw it in with my quarry for the day. I am curious if anyone else has ever experienced this. I am still chuckling to myself about it.

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 pm

ACE has done it twice so far. We walk on levies back to our truck and he runs up and down the sides sniffin and pissin. One time it was a live wounded hen mallard the other time was a dead teel from that days hunt. Wounded birds don't last more than a day out in the refuges with all the hawks and coyotes.

One thing to keep in mind. When walking back with a full strap, keep dog walking at heel.

I always dread ACE bringin me an eight bird or worse, a second hen mallard. Game warden won't be near as proud of your lilly if she puts you over the limit.

BTW, Good for your girl. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:32 pm

thanks ACE. That brings up a good point. What happens if you're bagged out and your pup brings you another bird you never saw? Do you chuck it and act like it never happened? It seems a waste but I'ld prefer to do that if the warden isn't going to believe my story and break out his citation book.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:40 pm

As much as i hate the idea, I chuck it back. Wardens can be too strict and rightfully so. Why should they believe my story or even care about how i got the exta bird. They would probably waste no time in ticketing me. To be honest, i can't blame them.

I have thought of this ever since ace brought me the first bird. I decided then that i would chuck it. Not worth a ticket our losing hunting priveledges.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby harvey1b » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:57 pm

I agree. If I'm in the situation where I have my limit and the dog shows up with an extra bird I will leave it in the field also.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:19 pm

Stogie found one on his 1st hunt and whenever were walking his nose is to the ground and checking every bush. With a limit (which are not a common with me as I would wish) we always left it on the road maybe someone else needs a another bird. Unfortunately - you could walk the refuge on any day the birds are in and always pick up a few with a dog.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:06 pm

my first pup Lee drug up a single shot H@R 20 gage one year he was about 2 years old at the time but he was the bigest theaf. He was a yellow lab.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:16 pm

no $h!t?!! Your dog stole someone's gun?! That beats all. I guess that won't go on your bag limit and you've got the guy's gun so you don't have to worry about him shootin' you or your dog, unless you give it back!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:21 pm

It was a young boys that was hunting with his dad how Lee took it i dont know but i bet the young boy is a young man now and dosnt leave his shotgun where he cant see it. I gave it back This happend in Texas on public land LBJ Grasslands man i miss that pup
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:10 am

When I was younger I had a pointer that could catch more quail in a day than I could shoot. After the point and I was close enough for the shot I would send him into the briars to flush them out and he would slip in slow and easy and when they tried to fly the quail would bounce off the briars and sport would grab em. I once shot a quail and broke it down but it wasn't slowing up any. I was about to shoot it again when sport at a dead run jumped up at least 5 foot off the ground and caught it in mid air. To say I was amazed would be a major understatement. That dog died the day I got married and to this day I tell my wife it died of a broken heart.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:02 am

I was guiding a quail hunt one day and the client could not hit a bull in the *** with with a scoop shovle. After getting a couple of dozen quail up and the client not hitting them, Sadee (now 11 and retired) caught one and brought it back alive. Another time, after a tower pheasant shoot, we were hunting up the birds that were not killed. One client shot and missed a bird and it went running into a clump of palametto bushes. Sadee saw it go in and she took off after it. After a brief hunt, she brought it back alive. I got quite a few complements on her.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby raidersboy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:45 pm

Last year in SD pheasant hunting, very first day out, we got to a field we hunt every first morning as tradition. It was a CRP field and the dogs had just gotten in the grass when my buddies dog brought him a hen pheasant with feathers blown off and bloody BB holes in it, plus it was still warm. Now being sportsman we didn't hesitate to call the warden in the area(which we thought we knew) and try to report it. When he arrived and we told him our story, he pretty much called us liers and that accidents happen. He went to his truck and we thought it was over, but he came back with a ticket for the person who would admit to shooting it. Now the buddy whose dog brought it back had just applied for a MN warden job (being backgrounded now) and he was going to get the ticket even after we told the warden it was BS. I couldn't let him take the ticket. I told him I didn't shoot the bird, but I'll take the damn ticket, with all intentions of fighting it. Long story made short(er) I drove to SD AGAIN (8 hours) and all I got was the fine (not the hunting restrictions they wanted to give me)
MORAL - THROW THE DAMN BIRD BACK IN THE WOODS!!!
"There's no such thing as too much ammo"

raidersboy
raidersboy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum