10 mo old, slow retrieves and won't hold

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

10 mo old, slow retrieves and won't hold

Postby Lvn2Hnt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 pm

I've been working on the FF basics with my 10 mo lab/chessie cross. He's doing great except for when he retreives, he'll get 2 feet away from me, drop the bird or dummy and just look at me.

I can't get him to "hold" a bird nor bring it all the way to me. I've tried the run away from him to get him to keep coming trick and he's gotten a little too smart for that and just stops where I had been.

This is seriously starting to bug me and I'm afraid that I've done something wrong with his training that I won't be able to reverse. I'm a very novice "trainer" and looking for good solid advice.
Lvn2Hnt
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:08 pm

Do you use an e-collar. If you incorporate the e-collar into the FF training, then the procedure would be to hit the continuous button until the bumper is back in the dog's mouth.

You may also need to go back up on the table or wherever you work hold at. Reinforce it. Hit the bumper out of his mouth, and apply pressure until it's back in. Let the dog know that until you say release, the bumper doesn't come out.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Lvn2Hnt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:13 pm

No, I haven't used an e-collar yet. Haven't wanted to take that plunge into my pocket yet.

Could you elaborate a bit on how to teach the hold? If and when I get firm with him, he hunkers down, rolls over and quits?
Lvn2Hnt
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:59 pm

If you are only working on "HOLD" then stop retrieving all together or else don't worry about him bringing it back and holding it. You have not taught that part yet.

"HOLD" is just that hold, HOLD while sitting, HOLD while at heel. Once hold is down pat and you can walk away from your dog and come back all the while your dog still is holding the bumper. Then you are done with HOLD

Then you move on to "FETCH" That is when you start to put it together for the dog. Fetch Teaches the dog that you have control over him and can make him at no matter the distance Retrive anything you want him to.

ONLY after the proper steps have been established will your dog succesfully do this. Don't expect your dog to do what you have not taught.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Lvn2Hnt » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:19 pm

He used to hold, but he got in the habit of dropping something each time he came back to me. Now, he won't hold anything. He'll put anything in his mouth I ask him to, but will not sit with it, hold it, he just drops things.

I'm fine with holding off on fecthing for awhile, I'll do anything I need to do, but, now I guess I need advice on how to encourage him to hold things again without getting intimidated.

I've tired putting the dummy in his mouth and trying to hold his mouth shut or up (other advice given to me), but he just fights it.

I'm lost.
Lvn2Hnt
hunter

Postby smackem » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:25 pm

yepper the guy before me hit it on the head. I spent 3 weeks in the garage last winter teaching hold. My dog did the same thing. Get some good DVD's and books. The dog is only as smart as the trainer.
Don't Down Wind Me, it stints down that a way
smackem
hunter

freshen up the training session

Postby bonbonjovi » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:48 pm

your dog may be bored with the training regimen have you introduced him to a live bird yet( a shackled pigeon, flight feathers clipped,) this may get him very excited. but use some caution, some chessies were known to be very hardmouthed and hardheaded(no offense to your dog)...anyhow a live bird that flops around will also show you if your dog has the desire to be a tough duck dog. if he's not into the live bird then you have a whole other set of issues.. good luck.... ( used to field trial labs with my brother, he still does it quite sucessfully)
bonbonjovi
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:01 am

First off, you should revisit your obedience training specifically the here command. The next thing you should work on is the ear pinch force fetch and the walking fetch.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:42 am

What method are you following to do your FF training? Just curious, because some books have sections on "troubleshooting" problems that might come up along the way.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 pm

I start with hold (no pressure), do the ear pinch force fetch, move on to the walking force fetch (with a heeling stick) and finish with a walking force fetch with a collar.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum