Pick me up

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Pick me up

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:08 pm

Man guys, lately I just can't make myself work with my dog. We go through the standard throw and catch proceedures, but I find myself totally unmotivated for anything of substance. Some of you know that I started on HOLD a couple weeks ago.......well, I'm still there. Through no fault of my dog we are basically at square one......I've yet to complete HOLD. I have found the process to be not too difficult but at the end of the day I barely have enough time for my kids, much less my dog. Sorry boy, but the wee ones out rank you. Frankly I feel guilty about it. I come home from work like death warmed over and he is freakin out at the glass door for me to come out and play with him. Meanwhile my son wants me to color with him and my daughter wants to play Barbies. I won't mention the wife's issues. Somedays adulthood and responsibilty doesn't measure up to what we as men really want to do. Geez, now I feel like a whiny baby. Surley you can relate? Alright, now that I've self-medicated through spilling my meltdown, it's time to take a step back, re-evaluate and put everything in order. Further bulletins pending future freak-outs.

P.S. Sorry guys.....started out as a dog training pick me up and turned into psychotherapy.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:06 pm

hvac, i know what you mean. when the days are long, it's tough to do all of the things you want/need to. i think you have your priorities right though. just remember, nobody is more understanding than the dog. he'll won't hold a grudge and will be as excited after you telling him "no" the 1000th time as he was the 1st. when you spread yourself too thin, it's very common not to enjoy anything you're doing. hth!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:22 pm

i had the same problem told my wife i can get a new wife. Just kidding sounds like you and the pup need to take a week off from training and remember keep them training classes short just about 10 min.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:01 pm

So I get home from this hellish day at work and my darling bride actually has supper ready at the table. Very peculiar. Perhaps she detected some dispair when we spoke on the phone earlier in the day and wanted to cheer me up.(It wasn't even a re-heat!) So I'm sittin there enjoying my pork chops and notice that I'm getting uncomfortably hot so I says to the wife, "Eh, whats up with the A/C? You been messing with the thermostat again?" She says no, so I go outside and have a look and what should I find............Mr. Deuce Dog apparently had a field day with all the electric wiring to the unit and tore it to shreads. I whirl around and he looks at me like he knows he is about to get his ass kicked and lowers his head. I stood there enraged for about 5 seconds or so still trying to decide what to do next......................so I decide to do the opposite, like George in Sienfeld, because apparently every instinct I've had today has been wrong. So I calmly walk inside and go to the table and get the rest of my pork chop and promptly feed it to Deuce. For some reason this calm settled over me that I can't quite explain. I go to fridge and get 2 beers, go to the garage and get some gear for the a/c and before Deuce is finished licking his chops the a/c is churnin away again and I'm back to a perfectly contented mood. Bizzar, huh?

On the post script I thought it best to forego the training for today.......I dont need to tempt the anger gods.

[img]http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=1112[img]

Dang it Shrp, help me out with the pic will ya? :salude: (Nevermind--got it)

[siteimg]1112[/siteimg]
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:46 am

The only problem I see in the whole thing is that you didn't grab a third beer. :salude: :mrgreen:
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:13 pm

All you need is 15 minutes a day to work with your dog. Surely you can spare 15 minutes either before or after work. Forget throwing balls and playing -- work on the stuff that counts like obedience and force fetching.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:38 pm

IF you take the kids and the wife out of the picture I can relate. Heres a story for ya. Everyone that was there still just laughs about it. Anyway here goes. My roommate and I used to work for the same Company (He owned it) and we were working on a new project we had been working 20hr day for 3 or 4 weeks. He had a 9 month old springer spaniel and I had a 3 year lab. Our dogs were really suffering because by the time we got home it was straight to bed. Any how one night we came home around 11:30pm. I open the front door and the friken dogs doug not 1 but 2 hole ALL the way through our brand new couch. I mean all the way through. YOu could see the ground through the cusions. There were at least 12 piles of dog crap including the foam from the couch. Then in the middle of the room was the king of all craps. It was the biggest thing you have ever seen. It took 4 shovel fulls to pick it up. They had also flip the kitchen table on to its side. It was horrible, but funny at the same time. Anyway enough said. All I have to say is GOOD LUCK!!!
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:00 pm

Is a professional trainer within your budget to get you through force fetch and hold. Many people face the same delimma. Some can afford to pay the pro and others cannot or will not. You may consider reducing the number of training sessions per week so to accommodate your family, which should always come first. This way may take longer to get the results you want, but it meets everybodies needs.
Also, is there a way you could make the family more a part of the training and this way everyone is getting what they want and need.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:52 pm

Hooked on Labs wrote:All you need is 15 minutes a day to work with your dog. Surely you can spare 15 minutes either before or after work. Forget throwing balls and playing -- work on the stuff that counts like obedience and force fetching.

Of course I can spare 15 minutes.............I just don't won't to. Not all the time, just lately. I forced myself through 1 session of 5 minutes on HOLD tonight, but the issue is that I had to force myself to do it. Really I know I don't have much of choice in the matter because I know how much of a perfectionist I am. If I drag ass anymore and don't have him FF by Thanksgiving then I will be more regretful for being unmotivated now.

Boykin, a professional trainer is out of the question at this point. It would be like if I spent a year building a hot rod and then threw the keys to a stranger to tell me how she drove. Right now I am at the beginning of FF and I don't want ANY distractions for me or the dog. Family or not.

Thanks for the takes guys and please keep them comin. I have no intentions of stopping our training or neglecting my family or my professional life. I hope I did not convey that. What I was trying to convey is a similance of a standard thought between amature and professional trainers alike. That we all get burned out and de-motivated from time to time. Cheers guys, and wish me luck. :salude:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:06 pm

Hvac, training a dog should be enjoyable. I know what you mean about having to drag yourself through parts of it, and not really feeling motivated everyday, but this seems like more of a long term problem. You don't have to have a dog to hunt most of the time, so if it such a chore, I'd give it up.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:06 am

Professional Trainers vs Amateur Trainers???

In the words of James Spencer, Amateur have a definate advantage over the professionals, due to their love for the dog.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum