first hunt got any advise.

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

first hunt got any advise.

Postby roscoesbuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:04 pm

i will be taking roscoe out for his first duck hunt in 2 weeks. and was wondering if you guys have any advise on things that i should do to make the transtion from training to hunting easier on him. thanks guys
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:14 pm

how old is your pup and where are you taking him how meny buddys are going. this is his frist hunt . these are a few ? you should ask yourself.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:42 pm

Joel's on the money. Go out by yourself with the dog on the first few hunts. You don't want to scare the heck out of your dog when a flock comes in and 5 guys unload their guns. Also you don't want to put unreasonable expectations on your dog. You probably aren't sure how the dog is going to behave and react to all the excitment of a hunting situation. Most guys are good about being tollerant of a new dog, others aren't. I would say that until you have a good idea how things will go with your dog in the blind go out with him by yourself.

I'm assuming the dog is young. The ultimate goal is for the dog to figure out when the gun is shot he/she will get to do a retrieve, and that is the fun part. As best you can try to be in a situation where you are shooting at birds in close: 1 shot 1 bird. If you are blind hunting take a leash. Everything is new out there and it is all exciting for them. The dog is going to want to check it all out. At first let him go. After 10-15 minutes though the dog should be sitting with you. Her first hunt over decoys last fall when Lily was in her rookie season I set up our decoys and we were sitting in the reeds by the water. She would forget that the birds were decoys and every 10-15 minutes had to wade out to them to see what was going on. It was pretty funny and I'm sure flared birds I never saw, but you just have to expect that kind of thing. I was alone with her and could laugh about it. Had someone been with me that was bent on getting their limit that day they might not have seen it in the same light.

Most important, make it fun . . . for you and the dog. Relax and enjoy the time out there. Your dog isn't going to be perfect right now and if you're like me you're not going to shoot perfectly either. Every time out in the field is a learning experience just like all your training sessions. Be consistant like you should have been up to this point in the training. You should expect fundamental obedience, but if a birds gets dropped on the way to you don't stress it. That kind of thing is minor.

I hope that helps. Good lick with the hunt.

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:29 pm

This is just like training. You want to put your pup in situations that he can excell at. This is not a "TEST" you want to build his confidence and make it fun. Make him as comfortable as possible.

DO NOT SLACK ON OBEDIANCE just because you are in the field hunting. You will be setting a president for many hunts to come. He must SIT , STAY, and NOT BREAK. Personally i would worry more about these things than anything else. Think ahead, bring a lead and stake him down tight to the stake. He might not break on the gun shot, but you don't want to start letting him.

I would go out by myself, Take good clean shots and try to give the pup a real positive thinking towards hunting. It can be hard on them to sit out in the cold all day on a sat morning, when they are used to laying at your feet by the couch.

If hunting with a bunch of guys and 10 shots go off, odds are even if you hit a few birds, your dog won't have marked a single one of them. Start him off slow with yourself, It will be much easier for him to get the idea of the new game you want him to play.

All of this is just my .02 take it or leave it.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby roscoesbuddy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:54 pm

i'll be hunting a point on a lake in a blind and it's going to be a good friend and me. my plan is my buddy will do the shooting while i can call and work with roscoe. he is little over a year he wasn't ready last season. I plan on using a leash and lead. what i'm worried about is him marking birds down because most of his training is with hand thrown bumpers and not birds shot out of the sky. so i guess what i'm asking is there any ways to ease him into this process form training to hunting. his OB is strong but he's still a bit of a meat head. i'm just trying to get him as much hunting experience a possible now so later in our second season when we are hunting more in groups he'll be prepared i can deal with mistakes now with both me and him. it should be fun. thanks for any imput
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:02 pm

He'll do great. go out and have a good time. it is going to be a great learning experience for him. He probably won't mark them all so be ready for that. take a pair of waders just in case.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:01 pm

If you have any reservations as to your dog's steadiness, put him on a lead tied to a tie out stake. Number one problem I see at a duck hunt is dogs that were never taught to be steady and at the first sign of ducks or gunfire, off they go, ruining everybodies hunt.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum