sick labs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

sick labs

Postby 7grnhds » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:16 am

I have bought three labs from a ladie in three years two chocolate females and a black boy both of the females have a ganetic diesease nither are from the same litter one ended up with lupas and the other has hip displacha the boy is doing great we had to put the oldest chocolate down because she was so sick is there anything i can do she wants to give me another free one but do you think they will have the same problems. I thought it was just a mis hap when the first one got sick and now i have another one that is only 6 months old. She promased me that it was just unlucky but i dont think so. can i expect it from labs the rest of my life, i live for duck hunting i just started about 4 years ago so i am kinda a new comer to the sport even though i have been big game hunting since i was 10

try not to make too much fun of the spelling i am horably sick and cant see the screne today
7grnhds
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:21 am

Did you get a written contract with health guarantees? She is trying to do the responisble thing and giving you a new pup but in this circumstance I do not think I would take it. If you have health guarantees then I would ask for my money back and go and get a pup from a different breeder. This lady has some serious unlying issues to her breeding program it sounds, so I would stay totally clear of any other pups from her.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:36 am

Give up on buying from a back yard breeder and buy a dog from a reputable breeder. You may have to pay more for a dog but it will come with a health guarantee.

Did you ask if the breeder had her dog 's and the sire's hips and elboes x-rayed and OFA certified ? Did both the sire and the dam have their eyes certified?

A good labrador from a reputable breeder should cost you somewhere between $500 and $1,500. When I bred my bitch the puppies sold for $700.00 and none of them had any problems. In fact, one is a FC/AFC and another is AFC and won the world retriever championship last year.
Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:06 pm

That sounds pretty suspicous. I think I would stay away. By taking another dog from her you are setting yourself up for more disappointment. It has to be heart breaking when the dogs get sick and have to be put down.

I don't know where you got your dog from, but I picked up a real nice lab in Worden, MT (near Billings). You can see a few pictures of her in my "post up some pictures" thread in this forum. I also know of a few breeders in Cody and northern Idaho. If you're interested I would be happy to give you their names.

Let me know.

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:55 pm

I tell people all the time, you can pay the price up front and get a good dog from a reputable breeder or you can save money and get one from a backyard breeder. With the backyard breeder, you save money, only on the front end, but you will pay in the end.
Now, this is not to say that there are not good healthy dogs that come from backyard breeders and that there are not unhealthy dogs that come from reputable breeders, because there are in both circumstances. It is just that when dealing with a reputable breeder, you have a much lower risk, and usually they will back it up with a money back guarantee or will take the pup back and get you another one out of the next litter.
For me, I get attached so the refund is the only way I would go. I can then use that money towards any health related expenses or a new pup, all dependent upon the particular situation.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum