Lilly's first hunt......

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Lilly's first hunt......

Postby gunman » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Well I took Lilly out last weekend for her first hunt, I was very nervous to see how she would perform, mainly since I couldn't get my hands on some live birds for training....Well The first bird shot was a blue wing teal, it was coming in on my right and closing the distance fast, I was shooting a full choke and I didn’t want to turn the bird to mulch so I aim right next to it and let it rip, it came down hard but was more than still alive, she surprised me and stayed on her platform. I sent her and off she went, the bird stayed just outside her reach the whole time, but in a comical turn of events, the bird turned and swam right to the boat! It swam right up to the edge of the boat and if I didn't know any better I'd say it was trying to get in the boat! So, bird #1 was under her belt.....kinda.

From then on she only broke before I released her twice out of the almost twenty retrieves she did that weekend. She also did two retrieves that were over 100 yards into 20 mph white caps. She made two retrieves on land in the reeds. The first she had to swim across the channel to get to the reeds, just as I thought she wasn’t' going to find it, here she come out of the reeds with it.

On her other land retrieve, I think was her shinning moment. I had dropped a large Mallard drake deep into the reeds behind the boat blind. I took her into the reeds were I thought it fell, and released her. She took off like a bullet in some of the thickest reeds I have ever seen in my life, you could only see about afoot in front of you. I could hear her crashing threw the reeds as she kept getting further and further away I started to get concerned, I started yelling for her, for fear she got turned around and couldn't find her way in the thick reeds. Well about five minutes later, and me no longer being able to hear her she was so far away, I started to hear something coming threw the reeds sure enough here she comes with the fat old mallard. I just couldn't believe it, I wasn't even close and she knew it. To say the least, I couldn't be more proud of her. We are going to hit again hard this weekend, and well polish her technique some, even though she acts like he knows everything there is to know about retrieving! Thanks for all the help and putting up with my questions guys....-Chris

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:07 pm

sounds like a great hunt congrads. i hope roscoes first goes as well.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:09 pm

Good story Chris and congrats. That is a handsome gal. My dogs first two REAL retrieves this early wood duck and teal season didn't go so well. Like you I could never get my hands on any live birds, he had been picking up dead pigeons and dummies exclusively. Wouldnt you know it that the first two birds that came in that day I got a double. Deuce didnt break so I waited a second and sent him in. They are both stone dead by the way. Well, he gets out to the first bird and just starts circling it in the water and not picking it up. I'm watching this from the shore and I start to panic not knowing what to do because obviously he is not used to having a freshly killed duck in his mouth. I'm shouting encouragement and he is out there doing laps around the damn thing. Meanwhile shooting time is mere minutes from being over and wood ducks are pouring in by the fives and sixes. There must have been 30 ducks coming in and landing even with Deuce out there and me on the shore plain as day yelling Dead bird...get that bird....fetch, back and everthing else I could think of. So I call him back in and heel him next to me. He is focused on the one bird and I send him on "back". He swims out to it, about 45 yards, grabs it and brings it back. I line him on the other one and he goes out, grabs it and brings it back. I still don't know what happened or what that exactally means. I guess intstint took over. My hope is that when the real season opens he will have that memory ingrained. Weird, huh?
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:13 pm

gunman you have a pm
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby coco_05 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Thats one pretty girl you got there! Goodluck
coco_05
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:12 pm

great story. glad to hear it went so well. that's a pretty girl you got there!
harvey1b
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Glad to hear it.

What a fine lookin pup :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum