Need some advice

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Need some advice

Postby flyman420 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:30 am

went out for the opener with a couple buddies and the dog. This will be her second season and for some reason this year she is not as steady as she was I have been working her as I did last year and she is steady as a rock when training but when the birds start coming in she starts to whine and when the guns are fired she barks and wants to break. I am looking for some advice on how to prevent this or at least a way to work on correcting this problem thanks. :withstupid:
flyman420
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:30 am

I am having exactly the same problem with my pup. The only thing that has worked for me and it hasn't made things anywhere near perfect but in my training I started setting up a ligit hunting situation. Meaning I take my hunting buddies (easy for me cause they are all my roomates) we dress in our camo load up the deeks guns waders ect. We drive out to a pond and two of us set out deeks the other builds a blind and the other stands there and hold the leash for the dog and directs us on the decoy spread.

Then one person will go and hid in the tullies and the rest of us sit in the blind and call then the shot is called and shotguns are fired (popper shells). I do not shoot so that I can hold onto the dog. If she barks or whines the bird boy goes out and picks up the bird and we try it again.

This has started working alittle bit for me but its not perfect yet, infact its nowhere close to perfect but its getting alittle better. This is alot of work and you need alot of copperation from friends but it pays off in the long run. Doing this was the only way I could get my pup to start whining and teaching her what quiet meant because she wouldn't whine anywhere else, hell she never barks either.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby flyman420 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:49 am

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try that I have a sall pond in the back yard i could set something similar up for my pup. IO have continued to take her out with me even with the issue and have another buddy with a dog come and have them trade off retrieves this has also taught her some respect for the other dog and to honor the other dog. I think this also makes her acknowledge that she does not get to retrieve everytime the gun is fired. But your method sounds more like a sound training tool. Thanks again. :salude:
flyman420
hunter

Postby keegan511 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:39 pm

You could also try using a check cord in your hunt situation by letting the other person shot while you make sure she is steady. Also if you have a collar maybe a low knick when she barks might help. I agree with cmelik and the hunting situation. Just my two cents.
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby ME » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:32 pm

flyman420,

one of the best ways is to make the gunfire and retrieving routine. Dogs know when it is the real thing and they get jacked.. Do you hunt out of blind or just hunker in the grass? If you use a solid blind tie the dog to it and only release the dog for the retrieve when she is quiet.

Get some blank/popper rounds and have someone throw marks for you and shoot. IF the dog whines say no and go get it yourself. Then after a few of those wait until the dog is quiet and send her.

Got to make it all part of the normal routine..

PS, I would rather have a dog that whines a little than one that has to be coaxed to make a retrieve.. :cool:
ME
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:10 pm

:withstupid: Me is right PS, I would rather have a dog that whines a little than one that has to be coaxed to make a retrieve.. She is young And also remembers last season And you are vert lucky to have a dog that is so birdy Do it slow Be easy on her You dont want to break the spirit she has for retrieving Im not in the blind with you But Im thinking by time the birds hear her its to late for them anyway right Or is it when they are high and circling
green head2
hunter

Postby lillusk3 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:36 pm

shows good perseverance i guess.. haha.. good luck with the whiney dog.. and she may mature out of that.. some dogs do some don't.. i'm not really sure if theres a way to cure that though.. i know many dogs who will still whine with or without a collar.. with or without knowning she can retrieve it if she's good.. some dogs just whine..
If it flies, it dies!
lillusk3
hunter

dogs

Postby duck77777 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:57 am

My suggestion would be first the check cord if that doesnt work buy a shock collar but use great caution using it you can ruin a dog in a day with one. Second if you have that many people to train with you and can put your dog in hunting situations invest in some piegons are some ducks have your partners throw marks for you and shoot there guns blow your duck calls do everything just like you were hunting. You are going to notice that once you do break your dog of this in your training sessions you may have to not hunt during your first couple hunts and just train your dog from not breaking.
"Thats why they call it hunting and not killing"

A bad day of hunting will always beat a good day at work
duck77777
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum