Best Dog Jacket I ever bought!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Best Dog Jacket I ever bought!

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:18 pm

Last year my dog learned how to shake and make his dog jacket fall off when he got to hot from running around. I kept picking it up until finally he lost it. I just got his new one from Bass Pro. It is designed just the way I would have designed a dog jacket. Minus one thing the Zipper. If I designed a dog jacket it would have the regular velcro straps plus 3 extra velcro straps running verticle to prevent the main velcro from unpeeling. I already know it is going to be a pain in the arse trying to get that zipper hooked up in the dark at five in the morning when the dog cant stand still because he wants to go hunting. But at least he won't leave it in the pond. The two best features of this jacket are:
The fact it has extra stiches in the seam so you can trim it to the right size and it wont fall apart, and I also like the fact that it has floats on each side to act as a life jacket of sorts, It may not be coast guard approved but it could be a life saver.

To trim the jacket to the right size I put it on the dog and then traced the areas I needed to trim with a sharpe marker.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:00 pm

hey widge,

if you're familiar with a sewing machine you can turn that vest into exactly what you want. all you need to do is go to the hardware store and pick up a package or two of velcro, usually found by the adhesives. cut the zipper off of that vest and just stitch the velcro into each side with a double or triple stich. then, sew on your cross straps. it sounds like a lot of work but is literally about 10 minutes if you know how to sew. if not, take it to a seamstress and they'll probably do it for less than $10. it is a good looking vest! i just wish they made one big enough my my dog!!!

HTH!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 5150Fred » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:40 am

Sharp is right about being able to mod. the jacket. Any local seamstress will do that in less than 20 min. ( and cheap too)
There's nothing like seeing'em cupped and committed
5150Fred
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:57 am

You don't need a seamstress or a sewing machine with this jacket, it is all set up to trim. It has stiches about every inch so you just trim it and your done!

Hey, sharps how big is your dog? Otis was 86 lbs, probably approaching 90 by now.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 am

he's right at 120lbs now. he was as heavy as 137lb but a strict diet over the summer took care of that. the problem with sizes i am running into is that his chest measures 40" and the biggest vest i have found is a xxxl @ 36". i was looking for a place that just sold the material but no luck there...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Must be a chesapeake,

or an english bull mastif, jk. oh wait there are those long hair retrieving mastifs I forget what they call them.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:45 pm

he is a chocolate lab...

[siteimg]1136[/siteimg]

[siteimg]1137[/siteimg]
Talk 'em into givin' up!

shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:13 pm

Yea, Otis has a 36" Chest right now, hopefully the vest will stretch out as he get bigger, he is only two and a half, he won't get any taller but he might get fatter.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:17 pm

it sounds like you are pretty good on the sewing machine buy two vests and splice them together. :thumbsup: I am not going through the sewing hassle until I jam the zipper or just rip it off in frustration. Then I will think about a needle and thread.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:45 pm

I just got the Cabelas' flotation vest. Extra bar tacks and no zipper. I think it works great for the price.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:55 pm

Yea, but it is not camo and it is made of cordura not neoprene so it doesn't keep them warm does it?
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby choclab » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:01 pm

Its neoprene, camo, and has a chest protector on it. Armor flex. I took one of the pieces I cut off the vest and tried to push a ball point pen through it, good luck. Stuff is way tuff. She stays really warm too. I was tucking my hands under it through out the hunt it to check on her, it was way warm. And at 34.00 dollars, I'm getting the other lab one when she gets big enough to need/wear one.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:21 pm

They don't show it online, but I found it in the catelog. It sure sounds sweet, I might have to get one of those next time.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum