Whos' dogs sleep

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Whos' dogs sleep

Postby openwaterhunter » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:02 am

Outside? My wife lets me keep Dixie our lab inside during the day while we are here. At night I feed here in her bowl and never give her treats or scraps off the ground or out of our hands because I don't want a dog trying to eat my breakfast everytime I set it down to blast some ducks in the blind. It is getting cooler now and I got cedar shavings to put in her house I sprayed them down with flea killer just to prevent those little buggers from getting started. I have had some people tell me that it hurts there nose and others that say it doesn't. What is you alls take on this "myth"?
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:17 am

I have had three hunting dogs in my lifetime and they all lived outside their whole lives. One of them had a fantastic nose, one had an absolutley awful nose but that was not because he lived outside it was because our bird numbers dropped drastically so he didn't get a chance to do what he was suppose to be doing. And the one I have now is starting ot show alot of promise so we will see. My friend I think you caught wind of an urban ledgend.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:31 am

cmelik10, you hit the nail on the head.
Urban legands will get you everytime. I always liked the one about putting burnt motor oil on your dog to kill the mange. It will kill the dog before it kills the mange.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum