Deafness in hunting dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Deafness in hunting dog

Postby Colorado Hunter » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:28 pm

I came back from duck hunting today and my dog seemed fine, now that she rested seems like she's deaf!

Only her 3rd hunt, she's only about a year and a half old.

Never experienced this with other hunting dogs that I hunted over for years.

Hope it is temporoary, anyone experience this before?
Colorado Hunter
Newb

Postby Colorado Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Went to the vet today. They prescribed anti-inflammatories, looked at her eardrum and saw no damage, but advised at least a month of no hunting. Bummer, my UKC "Hunting Retriever" misses much of her first season and I still don't know why the shooting affected her so. Good news is they suspect full or nearly full recovery of her hearing.
Colorado Hunter
Newb

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:17 pm

Make sure she's behind you when you shoot. For a dog, it's not nearly as loud back there. :salude:
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm

I'm with razorback. I don't shoot directly over my dog when quail hunting either. I figure if it hurts my ears, it must hurt theirs also.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:50 pm

I always make sure they are behind the muzzle blast. If they are heeled at my knee, then I do not have to be concerned.
I have seen judges at UKC events to reheel their dog, because it had crept out too far and was in danger from muzzle blast.

On another thought, if the doc gave you meds, there could have been an ear infection of some type and totally not related to the sounds.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Colorado Hunter » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:26 am

They gave her meds to reduce swelling, no sign of infection. Been cleaning labs ears for 30 years and would have noted that myself, in the habit of doing regular inspections. Recent Ducks Unlimited show had a bit about insulating the plywood box area your dog sits in the blind with carpet to protect it from muzzle blasts. Hope this helps others to avoid similar experience. Have hunted Ducks and pheasants for 30 years, with several dogs and never had this type of occurence, ( not my first rodeo, so to speak) my dog may have been particularly sensitive but I know I will go an extra mile or two in the future.
Colorado Hunter
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum