Chesapeake Retrievers?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Chesapeake Retrievers?

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:52 am

I was just wondering if anyone has a Chesepeake or have hunted with one? I was thinking about a Chocolate Lab, Wiemaraner or a Chesapeake for hunting? Just wondered about training them, hunting with them, good with kids, all that good stuff? Just wondered if anyone had any info on them?

Thanks in Advance
Captain16
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:39 am

Have you ever traind a dog before? If not, and this is your first, I would recommend that you get a lab instead of a chessie. I have a chessie, and I think she is wonderful, but I also think that she would have given a first time trainer fits. Also, what type of hunting do you do? If you plan to do a lot of warm weather hunting, such as doves or uplands in high heat/humidity, then I wouldn't get a chessie.....they (or at least mine) are cold weather dogs, and nothing will put her down faster than trying to hunt her in warm conditions.
Sorry, I don't know much about Weims, other than I think they are neat looking dogs...................
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:04 am

:withstupid:

don't have a chessie, but know many that do. Like Mr. 16 said, they are cold weather dogs, and should not be used for high heat hunting. Labs are a good all around hunting dog, thay can handle heat, and can definently handle freezing temps, and yes they are very good with children. As for a Wiemaraner, expect a lot of energy. A friend of mine had one, and he seemed ok with children, I didn'r see any probs, but I would look into it more. As for hunting em, really good upland dog, but I don't know about waterfowl, I would think with that short hair coat, they would get pretty cold.
texan68
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:58 am

captain, you'll get a lot of great info about chessies from several members here. particularly 98ramtough and hvac are very knowledgeable about this breed as well as many others here. i am in the same boat as texan by not having one. i do know that mr 16 had several very good points though.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 am

[siteimg]1155[/siteimg]
AAHHHHHH, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Where shall I begin? :umm: Well Captain, at this point I'm running over into redundancy. Even though Deuce looks like he would like to bite your face off in this picture, I'm quite sure he wouldn't. Like Lab guys I am pretty opinionated regarding the CBR. In fact I could go on and on touting known QUALITY characteristics of the breed. Like you, I'm only educated through what I've read about the breed and what I've experienced through my own dog, Deuce. So I'll just give you the facts based on what I know--not what I've heard. Deuce comes from a very old bloodline with qualifications that I had to pay through the nose for. He is a happy, eager to please, balls-to-the-wall retriever. There are some things in training that have taken longer than others, but once he knows what I want then thats what I get. Here he is getting some air...............I'd like to remind everyone that a CBR won the big air event last year................. :getdown:
[siteimg]1113[/siteimg]
Anyway, as far as my hunting experience with Deuce is concerned I only have one wood duck hunt as a benchmark. For (2) first-time-birds I think he did well. In fact if it weren't for his instincts, through no fault of his own, he probably would have failed.(My fault) He did, FINALLY, end up making two fine retrieves. Over the last 5 or so years I've hunted over a Chessie bitch named Bailey. She is the dog that made me want a CBR. I've seen her break 2" of ice with her chest, swim 400 some odd yards for a crippled goose and whip the crap out of two labs at the same time that where tryin to get some action.(she was in heat) When I first met her she regarded me with total indifference, opting to stay by her masters side. By the end of that particular hunt and to this day she greets me with a fat lick on the face. I have seen my friends 4 year old ride her like a horse. My own children incessantly harass Deuce with pulling, pinchin, grabbing and everything else kids do with absolutely no ill effect. Of course, when he was much younger I quickly made sure that he fully understood where he was in the pecking order. This is important for all dogs, not just CBR's. I think all color labs, weimys and chessies are all beautiful alike, so that is a decision you'll have to make on your own.

Training---I don't consider it any harder that any other breed. But then again I have the patience of a monk. Patience is a prerequisite for all dogs anyway.

Hunting prowess---Forget about it. This dog, by design, should be able to retrieve 1000 ducks per day. Unfortunately mine might get 2 per day. :umm:

Good with kids---Never once have I had a children issue. I will say that as Deuce matures I expect him to be more possesive/protective of my family and "his" birds and "his" backyard. If your going for dispossition then you need to look at Goldens as well.....you simply cannot beat their personality. I have met plenty of honery labs in my day. I'm of the opinion that you can have an affectionate Pit Bull if you want one. The proclivity for violence is greater with certain breeds, but if you beat or neglect ANY dog then you get what you deserve.

Captain, I have tons more info if you request it. I always like to see people showing intrest in the CBR. The reputation of the CBR I think i deserved, but with the right owner you can turn your dog into anything you want it to. But if you can't..........kill it. :salude:

BTW, today is Deuces' first birthday. Here's a coldy for you boy. :salude:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:07 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEUCE!!!!!! :salude:

My original post re: being a first dog was more from a trainer standpoint that a dog standpoint....most people get a book or video and then become discouraged if the dog doesnt' start doing what "THE BOOK" says it's suppose to do and when "THE BOOK" says the dog is suppose to do it (Make sense?)
My chessie picked up a lot of things right away, but there were a few things that took a little longer to develope. But like HVAC said, once they have it...the HAVE it!
My dog is not fond of strangers....My first dog was an American Water spaniel, and he was everybody's friend and pal.....My chessie takes a while to warm up to people, and some people she just doesn't want to have anything to do with. She warms up to kids the fastest, women second fastest, and men slowest of all. However, once she has decided she "likes" you, there is no way you are keeping that tennis ball covered with chessie spit out of your crotch! :yes:

I have met plenty of honery labs in my day. I'm of the opinion that you can have an affectionate Pit Bull if you want one. The proclivity for violence is greater with certain breeds, but if you beat or neglect ANY dog then you get what you deserve.

I was going to make basically the same statement....In my final days of working for a veterinarian, we saw quite a few Golden retrievers that were skittish, people-shy, and fear biters.....I attribute that to the 'puppy mills' and backyard breeders that are out to make a quick buck on a breeds popularity and dont' give a patoot about the genetics, temperment, ect. I can truly say I have never met a 'mean' chessie...some may have been aloof, but never mean. Most of the so-called experts of the breed spew a lot of drivel that they read in some book (usually written by a lab fan :yes: ) about how they are obstinate, need to be beaten, ect. I can honestly say that I have never had a moment like that with my chessie.

HVAC....that's a fine looking boy you have there. :thumbsup:
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:19 pm

WOW, thank you so very much for the info, actually got more then I thought I would. I was just trying to get info on them as it seems you don't really here that much about them.....well at least here in KS. I am just trying to find a good duck hunting companion and great dog! It seems everyone gets labs, which is fine, but I am more into dogs that you don't really see everyday, I guess that is just me, even though labs I know are great dogs. I have just recently started to look into them a bit more to see what I can find around. My wife is not real fond on shedding dogs either, not sure if they are big shedders or not. I just want to thank everyone for all the amount of info each and everyone of you supplied. Glad to be a member of such a great Website. Also, congrats on the Big B-Day today Deuce and I must say that you are a great looking dog. :thumbsup: Good luck to you all and Happy Hunting! :salude:
Captain16
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:33 pm

It seems everyone gets labs, which is fine, but I am more into dogs that you don't really see everyday, I guess that is just me, even though labs I know are great dogs.

This is one of the main reasons I got 1 too. Sheding wise, I don't know...........When I go to bed he is kenneled next to me. Other than that he is outside. No noticable probs so far. I can't imagine that they shed any more than a lab. They too get a double coat in the winter.

BTW, if you get a CBR, ALMOST EVERYONE will mistake it for a Chocolate Lab. It is so annoying.......but I guarantee alot of them look them up when they get home after meeting Deuce. I once had a lady say, "That dog got any Pit in him?" I gave her a "are you tarded" look and tried to explain the difference.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:52 pm

I once had a lady say, "That dog got any Pit in him?" I gave her a "are you tarded" look and tried to explain the difference.

What a hoot!!! I had the same thing happen to me while walking my chessie! :eek: Someone wanted to know "what dat pit bull crossed wif?" I've also had people ask me if she is a choclate lab (no), a wiemeraner (NO!), and a rottweiler (NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!)
.......still, it beats people asking me "what's that poodle crossed with?" when I used to have my American water spaniel! :yes:
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:05 pm

Chessies are great for the right person. If you want to have a dog that hunts a few times out of the year, plays with the kids occasionaly and sits around the house, get a lab. If you want a dog that will protect your home, be very intense in the field and is still a good house/kid dog than you MIGHT want to look at a chessie. They are not mean, but they are not quite like a lab. They are kinda like a german shephard, but not really.... There is really no other dog I can compare them too, but a chessie! They are much different to train, the hair is longer and a little oily. Not much, it won't stain your carpet or anything. They shed twice a year usually, and it will come in large balls of fur. I call em buffalo burs, you will see them in the fall and spring, or at least I do. Labs shed a little all over the house, chessies lay a ball of fur in the corner every once in a while...

If you do not excercise and spend lots of time with your dogs, do not get a chessie. They will drive you nuts. When chessies are bored, they are very destructive. If a chessie wants to go outside and play, he will nudge and bug you until you cannot stand him...

With all that said, when trained right they are an absolute pleasure to hunt over. They have a mountain of drive in them and will never quit on you. I have watched my dog swim over two miles chasing a cripple, and he won eventually.

These are my experiences with chessies, they may not hold true 100% but hopefully it gives you an example of a chessie. You have to have the right need and environment for a chessie. In general, they do not like some strangers. My dog is not mean to strangers, but I had a game warden try to sneak up behind our blind, and it was almost not pretty.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby goldhunter470 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:33 pm

I have a 9 month old chessie and he has been great. I worked with him all summer at the lake with his dummy and he didn't miss a beat when I took him out on opener. He proved to be very easy to train.

When at home he is just a big loveable pup. When he is hiding in the reeds or working in the field, this dogs attitude changes. It is all business. No fooling around. He is also VERY VERY protective over his birds, and gets upset when I miss. (Which is too often!!)

Certain breeds have certain traits, but it all boils down to how you raise the dog. Anyone can turn a good dog bad. With chessies it is best to be firm but fair. Then you earn each others respect. Good luck.
Input that enables becomes thoughts that smother.
goldhunter470
hunter

Postby sidecarr » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:15 pm

I used to have a wemmi , great dog but overprotective (put three people in the hospital ), high strung and stubbern , you have to be firm training them, they have a light coat so they dont handle the cold as well as the other versitle dogs, right now I have a german shorthair , smartest dog ive ever had , will probably get a black lab in the next year or two
sidecarr
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:10 pm

I have owned 2 chessies My female died a few years back and my male is now 3 He is a awsome dog Just last weekend he retrieved 17 geese and 38 ducks Not one problem He is real birdy He is great with the kids protective of the yard and family That includes the chickens cows and horses He has never been aggressive towards the nieghberhood kids Or anyone else But he lets any adults know he is there watching He is also king of all dogs in the area He will let them come in the yard play with the kids But if they step out of line he has no trouble letting them know it or problems backing it up Not that he fights Just that he has his way of letting them know its time to go home He follows me everywhere but stays out of the way He is playful but not hyper like a shorthair or even a lab they just seem to know their place When it comes to hunting i know I can count on him As well as he can count on me He breaks through ice swims in the coldest waters and still does not quit I have had huge icecicles hanging off of him and he still wants to hunt They at times can be a little stubborn but so can any dog I truely consider him my best friend And every year we get closer My female was the same way But she worked things out She found the smartest easiest way to get the job done He just gets it done I also have a 8mo old female lab now and she is great to she got 3 geese and 4 ducks this weekend But chessies are my favorite I like this little quote I got from another site

Chesapeake Bay Retriever -"He'll outswim, outweather and outfight any other breed of dog on the marsh. He will be loyal to you and you alone; showing great (if somewhat rare) affection in his own way provided no one is watching. He has a low tolerance towards fools, children and amateurs. He's the biggest, roughest, toughest professional in his line of work."Bob Hinman
green head2
hunter

Postby MattM1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:25 pm

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:26 pm Post subject: WHICH DOG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a proud chessie owner, wouldn't own anything else. But they are unique dogs and take more involved training and a lot of patience! I've found a few articles that my be helpful to you: The first is an article about THE BIG 3 @ www.oakhillkennel.com go to library, pick retriever breeds in training also check www.northernflight.com and go to magazine articles pick Today's Chesapeake (if you're still considering a chessie). Both these also have great training articles for future reference.

edited by 98ramtough- fixed hyperlink.

Sorry if I didn't transpose this post right, it seems to have worked. You might find some more good info from the Chessie guys from this old post "which dog". I'm on my first Chessie but have hunted over many and wouldn't own anything else. Good luck Captain.
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum