Coughing

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Coughing

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:42 am

My YLF has a cough. I'm not sure what it is or if I should be worried. It started last night. And sounds almost like she has something stuck in her throat that she's trying to get out. She'll cough for a minute and then be fine for a few hours. Anybody have a clue?
Heather
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:43 am

Kennel cough.....................perhaps call your vet, Heather. Not sure. An ounce of prevention is worth a.............uh, I forgot the rest. :oops:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:39 pm

that cough is indicative of a few different things. the biggest concern is heart worms. that is a tell-tale sign of it. do you have the dog on any kind of preventitive? parvo is another concern but i don't remember how much coughing is involved with that. have you noticed any other symptoms like fatigue, gaging, vommiting, etc.? like hvac mentioned, probably best to get the dog to your vet for a more accurate diagnosis. good luck...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:55 pm

probably best to get the dog to your vet for a more accurate diagnosis. good luck...

Good advice....can be just about anything. I used to work for a vet (long time ago) and we had a dog that came in with a persistant cough....all the usual work-ups showed nothing....turned out that the dog had gotten into the garbage and got a fish bone lodged in his esophagus.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Heather » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 pm

She'll end up at the vet if this doesn't go away in a day or so. She is on heartworm medicine. At times it seems like she is dry heaving. She seems normal aside from the occasional cough. If it is kennel cough what do they do to get rid of it?
Heather
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Have you boarded your dog recently or had it around other dogs? Kennel cough is transmitted by contact with infected nasal or other respiratory secretions. It is highly contagious around infected animals. Have you vaccinated for it?

Vaccinating for Kennel cough is fairly inexpensive and very effective. Most animal boarding facilities required proof of vaccination.

Treatment is usually to let it run its course. Some vets might give an antibiotic to prevent a secondary infection. If the animal has a compromised immune system from some underlying sickness or disease then treatment will be very necessary.

It could take Kennel cough a couple weeks to run its course, but you need to get your animal to the vet to make sure its not something else. Only they can determine what's causing your animal to cough.
I hope this helps.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:34 pm

VET - Vet _ VET
tstrong
hunter

Postby Heather » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Well, the cough is gone now. I was planning on taking her to the vet friday if she still had it. I guess it will remain a mystery. She hasn't been boarded and has gotten her kennel cough shot.
Heather
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:48 pm

My sons dog had tonsilitus we found out on Thurs, Oct 13 and a friend of mines dog he just got wednesday from springs had the same thing you might want get check out asap
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum