The Ol' Nut Cut

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

The Ol' Nut Cut

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:52 pm

:thumbsdown:

I've been hunting my lab for the past two seasons and he's been nothing short of phenomenal. Well, this past saturday, I left him out in the yard (unbeknownst to me that the gate was unlocked), went inside to take a shower, came back outside, and he was gone. I drove all around the neighborhood for an hour and I never saw him.

Now he's left a couple of times in the past, but he has always come home within a few hours. Not this time. To make matters worse, I was soaking his collar in the sink when he decided to go on his adventure. So now I've got a lost dog with no ID. :thumbsdown:

He didn't come home saturday night and as the day wore on sunday, I decided to call and place an ad in the paper. Only thing was that it was not supposed to run until tuesday. :thumbsdown:

So I got up monday, still no dog. By this time, I had started to get really concerned. I took the day off work and started calling all the animal control offices in my area. I also called the road crews for the worse case scenario. :thumbsdown:

After I made up a bunch of flyers (including a $300 reward) I started driving around posting. I also stopped by a couple of vet offices and they hadn't heard anything.

After I had posted a bunch of flyers, I drove over the state line (which is about 4 miles away) and was driving down one of the side streets. I was talking to a buddy of mine and was telling him what had happened when I pulled up to a light pole and see a flyer posted that reads "Found, Male Black Labrador" with a picture and a phone number. As soon as I grabbed the flyer and looked at the picture, I realized that it was him! :thumbsup:

I just got really lucky and will make sure I send an extra one up to the Man upstairs tonight.

I don't want him to run off anymore, so this begs the question. If I get his nuts cut, will he still hunt just as well? Will he still run off? I don't really want to do it because, well, I mean, come on. It's his nuts. But, I'd rather have a nutless dog than no dog at all. Any input would be appreciated.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Just do it. Anything you have heard about cause and effect on performance is a wives tale. He will be the same dog as before, but with fewer Mississippi Leg Hound incidents. He may still wander, but the desire to wander will be reduced, and you will be doing your part to keep the lab-mix population in check.

We are still killing millions of unwanted dogs each year and many are pure bred.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:49 pm

You mentioned that you have been hunting with him the past two seasons so I am going to assume your boy is at least 1 1/2 years old, if not older.

By now, your boy has already established his presence in this world, with you and tree he showers every morning. At this point his tempermant/habbits or attitude will not significantly change if and when you decide to have his boys removed.

Even if you had him cut at the appropriate age 6 months -1 yr., his demeanor still might not be affected that much. I believe it can make a difference (at the right time) but obviously we'll really never know. We can only assume.

You could have his boys removed and I don't believe it would have that much affect on him, especially his hunting abilities. I would not worry about it at this point.

I'm glad you found him. We all know how worried you were. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps you a little.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:13 pm

I have a yellow lab, I just had him done and he's two years old. I can finally take him for a walk without wrapping the leash around my waste and leaning backwards. He used to buck snorts along licking the ground where some female did her business. It definately makes a difference, I would say it nocked my dog from a ten on the testosterone scale down to an 8 or 8.5. Believe me, a little bit goes a long way. He used to wander, but I always caught him before he got too far. Now, he will go and check out the neighbors yard, but he usually sticks around, I still watch him because you never know. He was getting pretty agressive with other males, to put it lightly. Now there is at least a five second delay before he rips into another dog, if he does. It gives me just enough time to grab him before the fighting bell rings. He used to run up to other dogs and go to town instantly.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:33 pm

Is he micro chipped? If not do it. All vets now scan dogs for these and all of your info is listed. I have 2 buddy's that had lost their dogs and were found 2 to 3 months later. Next build a kennel. I'm glad you got him back!
tstrong
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 am

Neutering will reduce their desire to roam, no guarantee though. More importantly it might prevent an unwanted breeding and uncared for puppies somewhere that end up as disease carrying, non vaccinated grease spots in the road. If you have no intentions on breeding, cut em off.
As to the ID collar being in the sink soaking. Get a microchip installed. It is less than $100 and is permenant and cannot be taken off to soak in the sink. I have personally witnessed dogs find their owners due to a chip. Where I live, all the vets and the animal control have scanners and use them anytime someone comes in with a new dog they just found.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:43 am

most everyone hit the nail on the head. i completely agree with micro-chipping the dog. my vet test my dog's everyone year as part of his annual checkup. it is common practice for vet's, spca, etc. to check this on any lost/found animal. it is well worth the $60...

glad to hear you got your boy back... :thumbsup:
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum