SHOCK COLLARS?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

SHOCK COLLARS?

Postby lars » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:50 am

My 6 yr. old lab has finally "praise the lord" learned how to use that thing attatched to the end of her thick head.
the only thing I have to work on with her now is, when she is coming back with a bird, she will start to nip. She has only ate one about a year ago, and I think I pursuaded her to NEVER do that again.
:pissed:

I was wondering how I could handle the nipping situation without the use of a collar, or if that is the best option?
lars
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:10 am

what do you mean by nipping?? Do you mean that the dog is chomping on the bird or nipping at you when you try and take the bird? If he is chomping on the bird then you need to work hold with your dog and get him to understnad what is acceptable mouth habits and what are not. If you have already done hold and FF then you need to revisit them.

Please do not use that collar unless the dog has been properly conditioned. Only use the collar to renforce commands that they dog already knows, not to try and teach the dog something. If you haven't done this yet then for the dogs sake put down that transmitter and hit the obedience yard.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:38 am

get check cord and put it on her. :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 am

cmelik10 wrote:what do you mean by nipping?? Do you mean that the dog is chomping on the bird or nipping at you when you try and take the bird? If he is chomping on the bird then you need to work hold with your dog and get him to understnad what is acceptable mouth habits and what are not. If you have already done hold and FF then you need to revisit them.

Please do not use that collar unless the dog has been properly conditioned. Only use the collar to renforce commands that they dog already knows, not to try and teach the dog something. If you haven't done this yet then for the dogs sake put down that transmitter and hit the obedience yard.

Scott

Yep, what he said. :thumbsup:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum