E-collar Question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

E-collar Question

Postby Ronb » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:59 pm

Hey all,

I am new to the forum and a novice at dog training. Just wanted everyones thoughts on ecollar brands. I have heard some are crap and not worth the money, no service, etc and some are the best. Not looking for an expensive model. This is my first training experience so I am getting into it slowly. What are your experiences with them?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Ronb
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:12 pm

Ronb,

There are several good brands to choose from. I went with the Tritronics Sport 60: waterproof, good range, small remote size, durable and because it has a tone in addition to the shock. This way, once your dog is trained, you can simply use the tone most of the time. Their new gen 2 units are smaller and can be turned on by a switch on the collar, a good feature. I had one problem with mine and Tritronics had it back to me in less than a week. The Sport 60 G2 sells for about $260.

My .02. Good luck.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby BPduckman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Dogtra Peroid
BPduckman
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:50 pm

TriTronics here too. They have great cust service too.
tstrong
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:21 pm

depends, if you how long you plan on using it, tritronics I've seen go allong dang time, and parts for them arn't expensive, I keep hearing about dogtra, but when they first came out they were a one year collar, how long they last now is your guess, my money is on tritronics.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 am

http://www.gundogsupply.com/sportdog-fi ... 400-s.html

This is what I have and I love it. It's small, waterproof transmitter and collar. I will fully endorse Gun Dog Supply.........their customer service is second to none. When I'm done with this reply I will hit them with an e-mail soliciting sponsorship at DHC.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:33 am

Another vote for gundog supply here.

For me this is my choices in Order

TriTronics
sportdog
Dogtra
DT
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Tritronics here

Postby keegan511 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 pm

I use a Tritronics Flyway special and love it. If you're in this for the long hual I'd definitly invest in a good collar to save you some headaches.
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:50 am

Seems Innotek gets a bad rap these days, but I've had nothing but good things to say about the collars and the customer service.

I have a basic 4 level DU model that I bought years ago, and when it stopped holding a charge for more than 4 hours, I sent it back to get fixed. Got a brand new one in the mail 4 days later.

Also have another newer model with more features, and it performs very well.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:30 pm

You asked for opinions. With this topic your answers will be far and wide.
My Opinion: You stated that you are a Novice Trainer.
It is my opinion that more fine dogs have been ruined by a novice trainer through the use of an ecollar. I can take you to a breeder/trainer that probably produces more top hunting labs than any kennel in the country and they rarely use an ecollar, RARELY!
One book I read once on retriever training stated that if you cannot train a dog without an ecollar then you cannot train one with. My advice is to not take the risk and go without. As long as you put total emphasis on obedience, and never ever give a young pup too many marks, and you can produce a nice, reliable, and steady dog, one that is a pleasure to hunt over.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Tritronics Yes

Postby pointimgdogs » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:16 pm

Hi Ronb,
I am now on my fifth e-collar and it’s almost worn out. I use my e-collars more than the average hunter. Not so much for the e part but more for the beepers. I currently use a two dog upland special , Tri tronics. I tried an innotec collar once. It was a good collar but not very good range. I returned it because when the beepers get wet you can not hear them. I have never broken or had a problem with Tritronics I just wear them out. I lived in San Marcos, TX for about year wow what a fun place. Hunted doves and quail in TX and NM.
Good Luck Pointing Dogs
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:37 pm

I bought a Sportdog 2400 a few months ago and love it. I dont like the fact that the transmitter is so big, and now if I were to get another collar I would have to go with the Sportdog 2000 wetland hunter. This a great training and hunting transmitter. Very small and portable. I have heard about Tri Tronics and they are also great collars. I have a few guys I train with and they use TT. They have not had any problems on them. DO NOT get an INNOTEK! I had the ADV 1000 for about a year and then it broke. IT started shocking my dog without me pressing anything and the magnets in the collar fell apart and there was no way to turn it off. Innojunk!

Robert
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:57 pm

Whatever you get get a waterproof transmitter. I got a tritronics a couple years ago and they did not have waterproof ones. This weekend I dropped it in the water and it quit working. After bringing it home and taking it apart and drying it all out and putting some electrical wax on it it works like new... Tri tronics make a great product...

Oh yeah, I ordered a new hoster from Gundog supply so I won't ever drop it in the water again!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

shocking but true

Postby pointimgdogs » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:00 am

Hi Ronb, I will agree and disagree with the Boykin man. I would not e-collar a pup or any dog that does not understand basic commands . After that the dog gets e-collard! Nothing gets their Attention faster .
I think it speeds up the training process. For instance, a strong shock is a good deterrent for chasing deer. In MN and a few other states it is legal at certain times of the year to shoot a dog in pursuit of big game. I once caught one of my dogs getting ready to grab a porcupine . A good #5 shock and he will pay attention to the NO command the first time. BUT THEN AGAIN I ALSO READ THE WORDS NOVICE TRAINER AND FIRST TRANING EXPERANCE! Ronb consider a professional trainer at the least for basic puppy training. And then have him or her (women are great trainers of pups , It’s the gentle voice} work with you and the pup. It is not the dogs that are hard to train it is the OWNERS!

What kinds of birds ,other than ducks ,do you plan to hunt with your dog? Consider that when looking at e-collars.
Good Luck and let me know how it is working out.
Pointimgdogs
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby Butchhe » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:36 am

I started out with an Innotek, and then switched to a Sportdog 1200 for the ability to control 2 dogs. I must stress, and I am by no means an expert, that an e-collar is to reinforce what the dog already knows. You must teach the dog first and make sure that understands/complies for you before you add the e-coller. You can ruin a good dog if you jump right in to an e-collar.
Butchhe
hunter

Postby Ronb » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 am

Thanks for all the replys. Yes this is my first training experiance and the e-collar question is being seriously considered. My lab is 1 yr old and does understand basic obediance and we have started working on more advanced subjects. The problem I am encountering is that he has figured out when he is on the checkcord and when he is not. The e-collar would be used just to let him know I can still reach out and get him when he is not on the checkcord. At this point in his training the distractions hold more of a facination with him then I do IF he is off the cord. I was given this dog at 5 months and he is a great family dog that I would like to see how far I can take him as a retriever. Not looking to hunt test just want a dog that will retriever a bird that I shoot. :mrgreen:
Ronb
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:29 am

I use the Cabelas version. I don't know what brand it is. I hardly ever have to use it because like you said they are a good reminder for the dog. When I do use it I just use the tone or a very light reminder. She doesn't mess around when she has it on.
maddiedog
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum