The King of Restraint

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

The King of Restraint

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:17 pm

Well today I decided to break charachter and do something impulsive. I was thinking today about how if I were Deuce I would like some company for the down-time when the boss is not around. So I decided to pay a visit to my local Humane Society and see if I could find some sort of lab-mix to rescue. Well this guy had me at hello. You could stamp a sucker/sold sign on my forhead the second I saw him. He is an almost five month old Border Collie-Labrador Hybrid. I say Hybrid cause it sounds cooler than "mix." I'm thinkin bout callin him Cooter.(because that is darn funny)
[siteimg]1163[/siteimg]
You know what is hilarious about the whole thing? I get him home and throw some sticks for him to see how he reacts....................The little SOB delivered 6 straight retrieves to hand. It took me eight months to get Deuce to do that and I still feel the need to FF him. This dog cost me about 93% less than Deuce, too. Go figure. Anyway, the family loves him, Deuce is completely indifferent to him, and I gave myself another mouth to feed. Well let you know what happens as the introductions continue. I guess now I will find out if it's true that 2 dogs are easier than 1.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:51 pm

I thought about doing the same thing a couple years back. They required me to cut off my dogs nuts. I told them nevermind.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:47 am

Ha! 2 dogs are easier than one. I tried buying into that when I got my second one. They do keep each other busy around the house, and I guess that's all you really need since you won't be training the second.

Congrats on the new pup and good job saving a dog. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:10 am

i dont know about that. that new one is lab mix. and he is collie (smart) mix. ill bet this one pics up on the training as well as his duce did. i would be interested to find out just how well this one reacts to gun shots, and maybe even retrieves ducks. cute dog........good luck
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:19 am

gsphunter wrote:Ha! 2 dogs are easier than one. I tried buying into that when I got my second one. They do keep each other busy around the house, and I guess that's all you really need since you won't be training the second.

Congrats on the new pup and good job saving a dog. :thumbsup:

You know gsp, I went there looking for a GSP or a lab at the pound. Before I went to this particular place I called 3 other pounds inquiring specifically about GSP's. I guess if there is ever anything full-blooded of any quality, they don't last very long. I wonder what a GSP/LAB looks like? I will train this dog.........he will be my "trick" dog and Deuce is my hunter.

They required me to cut off my dogs nuts.
That's weird.......my place never said a thing. In fact the first thing I said when I got there was that I was looking for a new chew toy for my Chessy. I guess they are so anxious to get rid of dogs that they almost push them out the door.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:23 am

i have heard the spayed/nuetered spill also. i was under the impression they actually did it/had it done before they made the pet available. either way, congrats on the new family member.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:09 am

shrpshtr wrote:i have heard the spayed/nuetered spill also. i was under the impression they actually did it/had it done before they made the pet available. either way, congrats on the new family member.

Yeah, they are pretty much made-to-order dogs. All shots and vacinations plus micro-chip. On the leash and out the door. I had never heard that spaying or neutering of a current pet was a prerequisite for adoption.
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:44 am

Wish I woulda known you were looking hvac. If you really wanted a shorthair, I could have put you in contact with one of the shorthair rescues out there. Many of them even have some hunting background and they almost always have purebreads on hand.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am

good looking pup! let us know how things turn out!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:32 pm

Way to go. Thanks for saving one. Years ago, we had a female lab and saved a little lhaso apso mix (sp?). The lab was a little stand off-ish for about a week or so. They became best pals and played great together. Strange looking pair though. Two dogs is easier than one. Dogs are hard wired to be pack animals and it is tough on them to be alone.

We currently have two GSPs. Two months ago, we adopted the second GSP from a rescue center. She is a year old. I have to say, she has been pretty easy. She came house broken and done chewing.

And yes, the 6 year old didn’t like the new one much for the first few days, but all is good now. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:53 pm

Rat Creek wrote:Way to go. Thanks for saving one. Years ago, we had a female lab and saved a little lhaso apso mix (sp?). The lab was a little stand off-ish for about a week or so. They became best pals and played great together. Strange looking pair though. Two dogs is easier than one. Dogs are hard wired to be pack animals and it is tough on them to be alone.

We currently have two GSPs. Two months ago, we adopted the second GSP from a rescue center. She is a year old. I have to say, she has been pretty easy. She came house broken and done chewing.

And yes, the 6 year old didn’t like the new one much for the first few days, but all is good now. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to here that report, Rat. I'm a bit on the worried side of things though.......this new pup has snapped at both my children once each and I'm kind of riding the fence on waiting him out. I could either take him back now or risk some sort of scar on one of my babies. I wasn't there to see either of the incidences so I can only react to what my wife told me. It certainly is a little unnerving for me. I had the same worries about my Chessie when he was younger too, but he is an entirely different dog now. Wife also advised me that he snapped at the vet today while she was trying to examine his feet. I feel a bit pissed off at the Humane Society because the dog, as advertised, is kid, dog and people friendly. As my Vet said, puppies don't just don't decide to be that way one day, they are made to be that way. This particular pup was a stray, so no telling what kind of trama he has been through. Maybe he just needs a solid 2 weeks of loving security so he knows his place in the world. I don't know. I told my wife that I'm going to give him a week or two and that if he didn't assimilate into our life that I was going to take him out to the farm and kill him; probably thereby eating the $150 I had to drop on him. If anyone in here has any pet adoption stories that are similar to this, with a ray of hope at the end, please tell me your story. The information I get from you guys will be considered in the fate of this pup.
Thanks,

Cort
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 pm

gsphunter wrote:Wish I woulda known you were looking hvac. If you really wanted a shorthair, I could have put you in contact with one of the shorthair rescues out there. Many of them even have some hunting background and they almost always have purebreads on hand.

Send me the info just the same Brian. According to my post above things may change..............................
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:16 pm

I see that hvac, if I were you though, I would do exactly like you said. Wait him out a little bit. He's had a whole lot of adjusting to do and could be super stressed right now. Also though, do not let that dog get the upper hand on your kids. If you start that now, it will be really hard to break.

For now, I wouldn't let your kids play with the dog unless you are supervising it, so if an incident occurs, you can correct it right away.

I'll try to find the closest shorthair rescue for you and PM you with it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:03 pm

gsphunter wrote:I see that hvac, if I were you though, I would do exactly like you said. Wait him out a little bit. He's had a whole lot of adjusting to do and could be super stressed right now. Also though, do not let that dog get the upper hand on your kids. If you start that now, it will be really hard to break.

For now, I wouldn't let your kids play with the dog unless you are supervising it, so if an incident occurs, you can correct it right away.

I'll try to find the closest shorthair rescue for you and PM you with it.

:thumbsup: Thanks
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum