when to feed them on hunt day?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

when to feed them on hunt day?

Postby roscoesbuddy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:22 am

i'm getting ready for the first hunt of the season i'm so pumped sitting in class listening to a professor talk is just painful when all i can think about is smacking ducks and watching roscoe bring'em back. but anyway i'm curious what you guys do about feeding your dog on hunt day do you feed them before you leave take food with you during the hunt or whats best. right know we are feeding him once a day with like a snack in the evening if he's real active.
thanks guys
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 am

I just feed on the normal schedule. I also bring along a performance bar and apportion it out during the course of the hunt.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby MattM1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:15 pm

Roscoes, I hope time will speed up for you, I'm at work "gettin paid by the hour but older by the minute" just waiting for the weekend to come to wack a few. I normally feed my dog twice a day 1st at 7:00 am and 2nd at 7:00 pm but when I hunt I feed him 1/2 cup more the night before and don't feed him untill we come back around 10 am - noon. Then I feed him 1/2 cup extra. If we go longer I will feed him when we break for lunch but only 1/2 of normal feeding. I do this to avoid bloat/torsion, Its usually about an hour after we leave the field when he actually eats.
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:50 pm

My dog Otis usually doesn't eat until I get back from hunting. A lot of times I buy some beef jerky and give him little rewards now and then for being a good dog. He tends to be on his best behavior when he knows I got jerky! You could buy the dog jerky, but I find the real stuff is better because you can eat it if you get hungry.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:11 pm

Ace doesn't have a lot of meat on him, so i try to keep food in him as often as I can.

This past weekend, we were hunting in mid 20 deg temps early in the morning. That will be his coldest hunt of the year. I fed him about a cup of dry food and a can of wet in the morning ( about 4 a.m.) When we returned from the hunt, I fed him again, about the same amount. That evening around 7 I fed him 2 cups of dry and a can of wet.

Durning normal non hunting season, he eats around 6 cups of dry food. With all the added work and cold I upped it a bit. He is not a big eater, as far as chowing down on his food, he is more like slow and mythotical with it.

Also I fed him around 10 eukanuba cookies throughout the hunt. He is 75lbs of pure muscle, not a bit of fat on him, so I want him to have as much energy as he needs.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby bubba1 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:07 pm

Ace, what are the eukanuba cookies? I don't think i have ever seen them?

Bubba1
There is room for all of God's creatures, right next to the potatos and gravy.
bubba1
hunter

Postby choclab » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:40 pm

I feed Maggie in the morning and at lunch when we hunt. Then a good size dinner. In the off season she gets fed twice a day.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:23 pm

At my dad's club in Willows Calif. we did not feed the dogs in the morning.
We might have a milk bone or two & good water to drink( not pond water) , but most dog's are not into eating when they go hunting with you. If your dog is looking at your pocket and not up into the sky; you might have a problem? After the hunt my brother and I would bring down the pans and put one can of dog food, two scoops of dry kibble, an 1/2 cup hot water together and mix it with our hands. We never gave our dogs a "cold" dinner for their hard days work. Of the 12 dogs in the pens, there were only 2 that were special. One did not lile kibble, an the other wanted seconds!! NOTE: when U give a dog a drink, pull its bottom lip/cheek out; pour slowly & let it lap. Pouring down its throat is HARD on a dog. Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:32 am

normal schedule, once a day in the evenings.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:13 am

I feed him in the morning before the hunt, then I try to bring some snacks for around lunch, and feed him again when we get home. We ususally hunt from dark to dark, and it is impossible to keep weight on him during hunting season. I just free feed him during hunting season, let him eat as much as he wants.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:46 pm

I feed all my dogs once a day and at night so it will keep them warmer at night and don't have to worry about them in the morning.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum