Any Flat Coat/Curly Coat Retrievers out there?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Any Flat Coat/Curly Coat Retrievers out there?

Postby Beluga » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:01 am

Wondering if anyone else out there has Flat Coat Retrievers? I have had em for about 12 years and havn't seen another one aside from those that come from my breeder. I would love to hear if anyone else has them or hunts them. My dad had a flat coat, and after it died he couldn't find another one right away and so he got a curly coat, which I had never seen until that point. Please share any stories/experiences/tips!

I'll start by saying that if some dogs are slow to mature, flat coats may never mature! They are puppy like in attitude and playfulness thier whole lives. Also seems very tough, he can sit all day without getting cold (nice long fur like a golden), and he'll ride on the back of a fourwheeler for hours at a time. Thier best charteristics are a good attitude all the time and an instict to retrieve that can drive a guy nuts. Retrieveing twice a day is a must or they get squirelly!
Beluga
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:58 pm

My hunting partner has a Flat coat retriever that we hunt with along with my labs. I am not sure where he got him from but think it was around Yarmouth NS.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum