Ok to keep em outside?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Ok to keep em outside?

Postby Penguine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:00 pm

This is one for you Northern Tier folks I would expect. I am wanting to get a lab for duck/goose hunting but I am not to keen on keeping a large dog in the house. I currently live in South Dakota and as most folks know the weather up here can range from downright cold, to hot as hell. In the winter it has gotten to be -50 and in the summer in excess of 100. If I built her a good kennel, elevated off the ground. Here is a quick sketch of the overall "look" that I was thinking of using.

She would get plenty of exercise running around the yard and out playing, and training. was just wondering wht you all think of keeping a lab outside when it is cold.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:29 pm

When it gets that cold, I think dogs should be brought indoors. Having said that, about 15-16 years ago when I first started getting GUNDOG magazine, I remember reading an article on dog houses, and the basic set up you have is the one I remember seeing in the article. Also, the had set up a 'heater' of sorts using a gallon paint can and a light bulb....if you are intersted, I'll see if I can find the article and snail mail it to yah!
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:27 pm

Our dogs live with us in the house. It has some draw backs, but the benefits and enjoyment far outweigh the other option. I will try not to get too sanctimonious, but I don’t understand getting a dog, just to have it live in a box out back.

That said, dogs need to be brought inside when the weather extremes hit, both hot and cold. If you have on a good coat and are cold, you can be certain the dog is also. And in the heat, it is compounded because dogs don’t cool themselves well.

The dog house design looks good for cold situations, but don't expect the dog to spend time in there when it is warm.

Dogs can survive the extremes, but they won’t thrive.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Feed them REALLY well in the winter because they burn more energy trying to just stay warm. (prolly had that much figured) I would suggest a heated dog mat just be sure to hide the cord good or it won't be heated long. As for the summer time just put up a tarp in the kennel for shade. The blue prints look great thou.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Heat Stroke

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:53 pm

I live in Florida where it occasionally gets below 50F. However, I had a dog die of a heat stroke 3 years ago.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:48 pm

I live on Canyon Ferry Lake, MT, and my dogs are young, so they are often inside. However, a good friend of ours has a 7 yr. old female yellow lab who is ALWAYS outside. Her kennel is built on the backside of the garage for protection from the wind. She has a doghouse that is surrounded by hay bales. There is hay under it, next to it, behind it, and on top of it. Her kennel is covered by a tarp. She climbs the hay into her house. Also, there is a bed of hay in her house. The door to the dog house is facing the direction of the garage, so the wind won't blow on her in there. The key is to keep the doghouse OFF the ground, which freezes. When on the hay, the dog's body heat can circulate. This is a bit of a pain to change her hay, but if you rotate it every now and then it will keep it from going stale. Also, make sure you clean your kennel every week (atleast), because a dog can make a mess of that hay.
In the summer, get a plastic kid's swimming pool and change the water each day to keep it cool and clean. Our weather is similar to yours, and this works for us. Also, make sure the doghouse is in shade, and build a small platform for the dog to sunbathe on and to lay in the breeze. You can use a sheet of plywood and a couple 2x4's (to keep it out of the mud). Our air is fairly dry, not too humid, so our dogs won't get so sick from the heat as they would in the South.
Also, consider a "dog room" in the house, like an entryway or basement blocked off by a babygate for use in the real severe weather. This will help eliminate your "house dog" fears.
Have a good one fellas.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby TXwaterfowler » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:00 pm

I think its ok to keep the dogs outside in the spring and fall months when it still feels good outside. However here in Texas the summer can bring 100+ temps and 90-100% Humidty so it gets hot and sultary, so I say keep them inside for the reason of heat stoke. Winter time it doesnt get -50 here but surly no dog needs to be put in that. I put both of my labs inside the day before we all go hunting. For the most part it stays a good temp to keep em outside here. (':salude:') (':thumbsup:')
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:32 pm

The reason for wanting to keep her outside is that I am about to get a new house, if all things go right. By new I do not mean just new to me, but new as in just built. Supposed to move around mid-December. My mini-daschund is ok cause she is small and does not chew, I just fear having a large size dog inside, and having her chew as a puppy.

Things here are all in a crap pile right now though so I doubt I will be getting the lab. Divorce is a crappy thing to go through. So anyway, thanks for the info.

T
Penguine
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum