Had a real scare

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Had a real scare

Postby openwaterhunter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:42 pm

I was bleaching the car port here at the house today when Dixie came around the corner acting funny. It was like her legs were going but here brain wasn't telling them to. She sat down and was foaming with her tounge as far out as she could get it and it was really red on top of that. I yelled for my wife and she came to investigate and went hysterical. She called our vet and was told that more than likely she licked some bleach and thats what made her mouth foam and tounge red but the legs going crazy didn't fit into it. She said to smell her feet and see if I could smell bleach and sure enough I did. I washed her good with shampoo for about 10 good minutes and washed her mouth out with the water hose (she HATED THAT) for a good while. The vet said she could get mouth sores but other than that she would be fine but as precaution to watch her for a while and make sure she is ok. I played with her in the yard and she kept wanting to retrieve after all this. SO I sure hope thats all it was. SHEW!!! Thought I was going to have to go to the vet the rest of the day.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:28 pm

Note to self........put up dog when using bleach, got it. Sounds like everything will be ok openwater. Let us know how she does.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:32 am

Unfortunately I know your pain. A few months ago my pup and I were staying at my parents house. THey have an old victorian house that on occasion has a mouse sighting. Kelsey and I were staying in my old bed room, I woke up to hear her rummaging in something under the bed. When I looked I saw Kelsey nose deep in a box of Decon.

I jumped up and grabbed her and the phone and called the vet. Unfortunately for him it was 5:00 am. He said that I needed to get her to throw up, and the easiest way is to give her some hydrogenperoxide. A few minutes later we had a huge pile of frothy blue-green mess. Later that morning at the vet's office he said to keep an eye on her and give her vitamin K. It helps the blood (sp) colagulate....

I love country Vets they have the most practical advise. If we were in Chicago, where I lived at the time, the vet would have had us come in and do some crazy procedure and bill me a grand.

I guess the moral of my story is to keep your pup kenneled and fire the cat.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:20 am

glad things are ok now open. hopefully she'll be past this in no time. another tip, if you ever take your dog around a garage, make sure there isn't any anti-freeze or oil sitting in a drain pan. i had a buddy lose a good bird dog to this...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum