Oil Spil's effects on duck habitat-Video

A place to discuss major environment issues, from the Gulf oil spill to extreme floods.

Moderators: Indaswamp, Dep6, #1wingnut, Smackaduck

Oil Spil's effects on duck habitat-Video

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Louisiana Sportsman investigates the impact of the BP oil spill on one stretch of the coastline with Ducks Unlimited's Mike Checkett and Cajun Fishing Adventure's Ryan Lambert

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Oil Spil's effects on duck habitat-Video

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks for posting this video, Inda. I think this specifically addresses what a lot of us as sportsmen are worried about when it comes to the spill in the Gulf. From the footage in the video, it is clear to see that this has already had an impact on the bottom members of the food chain, the organisms and invertebrates that can't escape the water. And as Ryan Lambert was saying in the video, when the bottom of the food chain goes, the devastation will naturally begin to work its way up as food becomes unavailable for the group of animals on the next step up. I guess we can only wait and see to what extent this damage will ultimately go, and what effect it will have on the ducks and geese that will begin arriving in the area in just a few months.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Thanks for posting this video, Inda. I think this specifically addresses what a lot of us as sportsmen are worried about when it comes to the spill in the Gulf. From the footage in the video, it is clear to see that this has already had an impact on the bottom members of the food chain, the organisms and invertebrates that can't escape the water. And as Ryan Lambert was saying in the video, when the bottom of the food chain goes, the devastation will naturally begin to work its way up as food becomes unavailable for the group of animals on the next step up. I guess we can only wait and see to what extent this damage will ultimately go, and what effect it will have on the ducks and geese that will begin arriving in the area in just a few months.

botits-
This has been my biggest fear since this well became uncontrollable...that we have a fisheries collapse from the bottom of the food chain up...the plankton, the invertibrates,etc...then the small fish like pogeys and shrimp die, then the larger species....it makes me sick just thinking about it!! :mad: We have such a phenomenal fisheries here..it really breaks my heart. The unknowns and the uncertainty is taking it's toll on the local people that live off these waters...
Hopefully more attention on our ecosystem here in louisiana will be a result of this mess...

BTW-buy a chance ($2.00/chance) to win a Saint's super bowl ring that is being raffled off by the team..only one EVER to be raffled off...proceeds will go to the restoration effort...thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I saw your other post about the raffle. It mentioned that the site is not up yet to start buying tickets? As soon as it is up and running, I will buy a couple tickets. 2 dollars a pop is nothing, especially knowing what the proceeds go toward. I don't really care about the ring.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I saw your other post about the raffle. It mentioned that the site is not up yet to start buying tickets? As soon as it is up and running, I will buy a couple tickets. 2 dollars a pop is nothing, especially knowing what the proceeds go toward. I don't really care about the ring.

the people of south louisiana appreciate it.. they hope to raise 1 million...but I know it will raise more than that for the same reason that you just typed. I'm betting non Saints fans will even participate. Matter of fact-The Manning Family is from New Orleans and have helped out tremendously. Class act on Peyton's part... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:59 am

thanks for posting up the video :thumbsup:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Return to Major Environmental Issues