Duck Hunting Forum banner

We NEED this ship! Lift the 1920's Jones Act Now!

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Indaswamp 
#1 ·
The government needs to listen to Professor Edward Overton. He knows what he is talking about!!

With no assurances it will be allowed to join the Gulf of Mexico oil spill cleanup, a Taiwanese-owned ship billed as the world's largest skimming vessel was preparing to sail Friday evening to the scene of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
The ship -- the length of 3 1/2 football fields and 10 stories high -- is designed to collect up to 500,000 barrels of oily water a day through 12 vents on either side of its bow. It docked in Norfolk en route to the Gulf from Portugal, where it was retrofitted to skim the seas. The ship and its crew of 32 were to leave Virginia waters Friday evening.
The owners of the "A Whale" said the ship features a new skimming approach that has never been attempted on such a large scale. They are anxious to put it to its first test in the Gulf.
http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/06/huge_oil-skimming_ship_makes_v.html

#4 ·
ohio mike said:
Just heard on the news that its a no go.The EPA says its discharge water doesn't meet standards! DUMBA$$'$
:fingerhead: So..instead of a minute amount of oil messing up the marsh-we get the complete impact. How messed up is that!!! I'm so pissed I think I'll just puke!!

Don't these people get it??!! It's not like they are putting additional oil into the system-THEY ARE REMOVING THE VAST MAJORITY OF IT!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's it-I'm writing to my senator!!!

#8 ·
2 tollers said:
Has anyone got information on how much oil this ship has been able to recover? Has it made a significant difference?
the oil in the gulf was not thick enough for the ship to be effective...the smaller skimmers did a much better job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.